1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Lichens don't care about haze

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by manzico, Jul 9, 2018.

1. So I was shooting landscapes from the top of Mount Lemmon but it was a pretty hazy day. Some of those ended up being keepers but the haze was a bit of a challenge. I also happened to turn around and decided that the lichens on the rocks behind me were worthy of some closeups, and there were no haze issues there. Some were shot with my 24-70 because I just happened to have it on and the framing worked, but I also ducked in with a macro lens for a few shots also.

#1:
    167776626.nPdEThR2.Taking_Over.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2:
    167776625.E74ItAbC.Struggle_for_Life.jpg

#3:
    167776619.I0enyQoA.Islands_of_Life.jpg

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

2. I think they are very pretty texture shots.

3. Very nice, love the color and contrast in #1.

4. Unique and interesting. I like zooming in on individual spots to really highlight certain areas.

5. Thanks for the comments. I always try to remind myself to turn around when I'm shooting. In this case I went from sweeping vistas to lichen, but they both worked out.

Thanks,

Dave

6. Lichen patterns are really fun to work with. Consider looking at these shots with classical composition thoughts in mind: repetition, leading lines, balance, rule of thirds. I think there are stronger compositions to be found in each shot that might take them up a notch.

I was struck with the potential of the diagonal lines in #3. This shot also might pop a bit with increases in shadow and in clarity to further define foreground from background.

Glad you are having fun!

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Very nice set, maybe a touch more channel work in the first image, but boy oh boy, I really like these!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.