life begins in the spring...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Leigh, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I tried again....this time with dogwood as well as a tree i'm not sure the name of. notice the tiny fly in the 3rd picture.

19147145-L.

19148378-L.

19148379-L.

19148384-L.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    These are in our yard?

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Yup, some in the front, some in the back...one technically on the neighbor's property, but hanging on our side...hope he doesn't mind.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    BTW, I'm still open to critiques from those willing to teach me a few things.....keep in mind I'm shooting the CoolPix8800.

Thanks in advance...

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Lovely Leigh. I really like the 2nd and 4th ones. They just pop from the background. You know that getting good background isolation is much harder with a small sensor cam like the 8800, right? (The DOF is much larger with that configuration). I had a Sony DSC-828 (very similar to the 8800) before I got my D70, and I was amazed at the difference in the bokeh.

You need to talk the big boy into getting you a DSLR to go with the Coolpix. :lol: :D :p 8)

Frank

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I guess I didn't realize that about the DOF being harder to isolate w/the camera I'm shooting with, although it makes sense. I'll confess, I didn't know what "bokeh" was and had to ask Patrick. I'm not sure I fully understand, but I guess I will eventually.

Yeah, now I'm kinda wishing he hadn't sold his D70 (the camera that was supposed to be mine to begin with!!! lol)

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Leigh,

As I'm sure your brilliant hubby has already explained, bokeh is just the blurred, out of focus (OOF) background that is desireable in many pictures. It makes the primary subject of the shot jump out in an almost 3D fashion in comparison.

If you want the really technical explanation, read this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

Ken is a pretty knowledgeable guy although he can be a little off the wall sometimes. As far as the differing DOF that you can get with a small sensor versus the larger version that you get with a DSLR, I was surprised too. It wasn't until I started researching the D70 that I even realized that it was an issue. Here's another article that you might be interesting in:

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/dof.html

Regards,

Frank

8. I really like the last one Leigh. The way you have controlled your DOF is great.

9. Very Very nice images Leigh!! :) :) :) :) :)

10. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks! Just trying to keep up with everyone else's wonderful posts...Thanks for looking.

11. Nice images, Leigh, especially taking into account (as Frank already pointed out) that it's not so easy to isolate subjects with the small sensor of a coolpix.

12. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thank you Harry. It's funny about the inability to isolate the subject being such an issue. Maybe because I didn't know about it being a problem I didn't let it be a problem? Heck, maybe the coolpix is smarter than we thought it was! It's definitely a fun camera to play around with. I'm hoping to be able to take some pictures tomorrow. I'm going to shoot RAW and see what difference it makes. If I get anything worthwhile, I'm sure you all will see it.

14. Leigh, excellent photos, especially the last one :!:
    Just a question, do you use the Cafe to talk with Patrick :lol:

15. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the comments. I'm having so much fun with this little camera

yep, i do a bit. he works so much,but when i see him in the cafe, i sometimes send him a PM. This cafe idea he and Flew cooked up is great. I enjoy talking w/everyone here...such a diverse set of people from all over. I look forward to getting to know you all better!