1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Life cycle

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by SSchex, Jul 30, 2007.

1. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    I've been watching some gulf Fritillary caterpillars eating my passion flower vines this week. They went from 1/2 inch long to about 2 inches long in a few days. Today I noticed a few of them "missing". I found them disguised as dead leaves. I hope I am able to capture the emergence. D-200-300mm f/4 and nikon PN-11 ext. tube.

Caterpillar has just glued itself to the vine....

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one looked like the first shot this morning, you can see the remnants of feet and the wings forming...

View attachment 108761

Anyone know how long before they emerge?

2. Scott,

I checked my reference books and I couldn't get a definitive answer, somewhere between 7 and 14 days. I planted a red passion vine this year with the hopes of attracting fritillaries. So far, I have seen two great spangled fritillaries. I am hoping that the ants haven't eaten or destroyed the eggs.

3. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Thanks Crystall. I have 4 chrysalis's now. 2 from today and the other 2 about a day or 2 ago. There is also another batch of little ones, the passion vine might not make it!

4. That´s one crazy looking caterpillar for sure :smile:

#2 is very nice (what ever it´s called in english... cocoon?)... Looks pretty much ready to emergence, looks like there´s antennaes too...

5. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Thanks Jukka, The cocoon pictured ,I'm not sure of when it happened. The caterpillar shed it's skin this morning and looks almost exactly like the other cocoon. I'll be checking them everyday.

6. this is the first post to this section...so plese forgive my ignorance....but these look like great captures. why do u need the big lens? love how sharp the photo is. thanks david

7. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Thanks David. Why the big lens? On these I could have used any macro lens as these subjects are not going to move. I use the 300mm and extension tubes to give working distance on more skittish creatures. I don't have a "macro lenses", just the 300 and ext. tubes. The 300 mm by itself is good for closeups on larger bugs like dragonflies and butterflies.

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Nice shots Scott. Do we get to see the result of that coocon?

9. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Thanks Torben. I've been checking them every day, they should open next week. Hopefully I'll catch the emergence.

10. bobarue

bobarue

Aug 9, 2005
    Louisiana
    These look way better here than over there!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.