Share Life during the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

Real Name
Dan
It's ironic that the origin of the coronavirus and the other more than one million viruses are nature at its worst.
Not to a virus. Nor seen through the lens of pure science I suppose. In purely naturalistic terms the virus has just a much right to be here as we do. And in fact with the relatively low mortality rates of its hosts appears to be very well adapted. And actually viewed through electron microscopy it is quite beautiful in appearance. It takes a sense of good and evil to look upon it as nature at its worst......Oh, yeah. Definitely too much time on my hands :confused: :rolleyes: :D
So here we are; face mask by Paul Smith, more stylish than most.

View attachment 1658172
And it's re-usable. Excellent.

And in fact with the relatively low mortality rates of [the virus's] hosts appears to be very well adapted.

So true. One of the things I've learned as a result of the coronavirus outbreak is that scientists believe viruses require the hosts to survive in order for the viruses themselves to survive. So, the viruses almost always back off on their attack on the hosts enough to ensure that their effect on the hosts isn't lethal.

Real Name
Dan
So true. One of the things I've learned as a result of the coronavirus outbreak is that scientists believe viruses require the hosts to survive in order for the viruses themselves to survive. So, the viruses almost always back off on their attack on the hosts enough to ensure that their effect on the hosts isn't lethal.
I just read this morning that the reason this virus is so hard on older victims is due to our own immune system response. As we get older our immune systems tend to over respond to foreign critters. Many deaths are caused by sepsis and organ failure whereas corona never leaves the lungs. It's actually our own antigens that cause the complications. That's one reason the very young kids are barely affected by this virus. Almost no deaths on kids under age 9. As opposed to things such as Spanish Flu which killed mostly young people. Yes, IMO, nature at it's worst.

I just read this morning that the reason this virus is so hard on older victims is due to our own immune system response. As we get older our immune systems tend to over respond to foreign critters. Many deaths are caused by sepsis and organ failure whereas corona never leaves the lungs. It's actually our own antigens that cause the complications. That's one reason the very young kids are barely affected by this virus. Almost no deaths on kids under age 9. As opposed to things such as Spanish Flu which killed mostly young people. Yes, IMO, nature at it's worst.

The issue of organ failure and sepsis is due to the lack of oxygen to the rest of the body. The virus creates havoc in the lungs and the lungs cannot get enough oxygen into the blood which is why the patients are placed on supplemental oxygen and later a ventilator. When the lungs are too damaged the oxygen in the blood goes too low and organs die. A symptom of very severe Corvid is "blue lips" which is from the fact that blood starved of oxygen is blueish while oxygenated blood is red.

So the virus never needs to leave the lungs to kill you. BTW there are ACE2 receptors in the gut so you can have the virus in you gut too.

I don't know if an over response of the immune system plays a role in this disease, but it did in the 1918 flu where the young and healthy died to a greater extent due to an over reaction of the immune system filling their lungs with liquid. My mom was a baby when the 1918 flu came through her small town devastating it. My grandmother nursed many of the victims of the 1918 flu. Mom was born in Sept of 1918 and never got sick.

A friend of mine just tested positive with a mild case. So I am in a 7 day isolation as I last saw him a week ago.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" hey mom, where is the credit card, I'll go shopping for you..." - Georgie Beagle

Real Name
Andrew
During my walk today:
03-31-2020_X100V_walkabout_DSCF7914.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
03-31-2020_X100V_walkabout_DSCF7920.jpg

All this free time has enabled me to launch my latest business venture of dominating the local Air B & B landscape :sneaky: :D
DSC_8660.JPG

This is my telemedicine nook.

I like how you're dressed for work. I'm working from home and elect on some days to just stay in my pj's and maybe throw on a ball cap. I'm not teleconferencing, just voice and email so no one knows how I'm dressed :) One small perk to stay at home orders!

I just got back from the emergency dental clinic at 10pm tonight. I'm not normally one for selfies but when you have a tooth with an abscess pulled out during a covid-19 lockdown you have to make exceptions.
20200401_213903.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom