Life is good...

Yet another Annual Nikon Cafe' Get-Together has come and gone. And, as with all the others, we had a wonderful time with everyone this year.

Friday night was great. We hosted the Meet-and-Greet in our home. Lots of food for the eating (BBQ ribs, smoked chicken and pork butt, Greek pasta salad, gazpacho salad, southern potato salad, green onion potato salad, curried broccoli salad, orzo with lemon & parsley, baked beans, buttermilk corn salad, shrimp caeser, and for dessert....Grandma Carolyn's pound cake, strawberry pretzel salad and oreo truffles). Lots of great company...it was so nice to see familiar faces as well as new ones. The door prize game was a big hit (thanks again to Wade for organizing it and to Dave D and Grandma Marilyn for conducting it; also big thanks to everyone who donated to make it possible).

Saturday was loads of fun. Lots of folks met early at the UAH Duckpond and then Frank W also took some folks over to his new office to check out a couple of hawks. Rumor also has it that some photos were shot at, of all places, The Home Depot! Breakfast was at the Botanical Garden (fresh, hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts) and then lots more shooting inside the garden. Lunch was catered at the Pavillion and it was yummy! A few folks went out shooting some more (and some of us went back to our respective homes/hotel-rooms for a shower and a nap). Later, two groups split up for dinner...one group went to Landry' (with a pit stop at the Apple Store first.... :biggrin: )...and the other group went to Rosie's for a fantastic meal and conversation.

Sunday morning came bright and early for many of you...Shooting at Guntersville Dam resulted in some great photos as well as many more memories made. The hike was, unfortunately, canceled due to the weather. During the late afternoon, we met up with some Cafe' members at Harmony Park and enjoyed the company of Albert...a VERY friendly camel! I think Dave Dickerson is still wiping the slobber off of his lens (and I still have tons of corn in the floor of my car! :eek: ). Dinner was at 6pm at a wonderful, local Chinese buffet. We all hugged and said our goodbye's and then I cried on the way home.

Monday morning brought sunshine and breakfast at IHOP with the last of our guests to be leaving town. Reese and I were very fortunate to enjoy this last bit of time with you. I think he was having a great time throwing the Cheerio's into Grandpa Rich's orange juice when we weren't looking. :smile:

Thank you so much, everyone for making this a memorable weekend. I am already thinking about next year and how I can improve it for everyone and ensure everyone has a great time. We are so grateful to each and every one of you for taking the time to spend a weekend with us. We love you so much appreciate the part you play in our lives. The Nikon Cafe's members are truly a part of our family, which is why when we all get together, it really does feel like a family reunion.

Life is good...because you are a part of ours. Thank you!

Ya did good Patrick and Leigh...
Nice images and fun from the activities.
One day I hope to make it there.

Well, I made it back home (close to 2:00 AM last night).
What an outstanding weekend getting together with my Cafe friends. This is a very special place indeed.
I had a great time meeting up with Cafe friends I had met before and had the pleasure to meet a number of new ones.

Thank you Leigh, Patrick and others for organizing this fabulous weekend for us all. And another thank you to the locals who helped out and went out of their way to accommodate the out of town visitors.

I am very happy and grateful to be part of the cafe family.

Leigh, thank you and your family so much for organizing this great event, and opening your home to us. Also, BIG “Thank You” to everyone you attended. Some came from near, others from much farther, but without each of you to joined us…we would not have the memories, new friendships, or such a event to begin looking forward to next year. There were some who dearly wanted to be with us who were not able to make it, but hopefully we will all continue to meet up as our travels allow.

Thanks for all your hard work. We really enjoyed seeing everyone on Friday night. I was stuffed. Looks like we missed a great time on Saturday and Sunday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya did good Patrick and Leigh...
Nice images and fun from the activities.
One day I hope to make it there.
We sure hope you can make it one of these year's! Our boys miss their "Granny Gale"!

Well, I made it back home (close to 2:00 AM last night).
What an outstanding weekend getting together with my Cafe friends. This is a very special place indeed.
I had a great time meeting up with Cafe friends I had met before and had the pleasure to meet a number of new ones.

Thank you Leigh, Patrick and others for organizing this fabulous weekend for us all. And another thank you to the locals who helped out and went out of their way to accommodate the out of town visitors.

I am very happy and grateful to be part of the cafe family.
Frits (aka Pancake Man)...we are so happy you were able to join us again this year (and brought The Dude along with you). Next year, I promise, we're going to get Anne here, one way or another!!!

Leigh,

You're the best. Thanks so much to you and Patrick for all you do.

Muril
Thanks, Muril.

Leigh, thank you and your family so much for organizing this great event, and opening your home to us. Also, BIG “Thank You” to everyone you attended. Some came from near, others from much farther, but without each of you to joined us…we would not have the memories, new friendships, or such a event to begin looking forward to next year. There were some who dearly wanted to be with us who were not able to make it, but hopefully we will all continue to meet up as our travels allow.
You are exactly right...without everyone who attends, this event would be nothing. We owe a debt of gratitude to everyone who attends!

Thanks for all your hard work. We really enjoyed seeing everyone on Friday night. I was stuffed. Looks like we missed a great time on Saturday and Sunday.
Rex, I'm glad you and Alice were able to come on Friday night. Maybe next year you will be able to stay for the weekend.

Thanks so much Leigh; it was as great as the others. Carolyn had a wonderful time. God bless!

Grandpa Rich
Grandma Carolyn
Thanks Rich. We had a great time with everyone. The boys especially enjoy spending time with their "grandparents" and "uncles" and "aunts"...what a great family we have!

Yes it is good...

Life is very good specially when you make new friends who know the value of family and friendship, above all else this is what I found at the Cafe, a community filled with good hearted people who care about each other and value one another for who they are.

We do have a shared passion for photography but it goes deeper than this, no matter what equipment one use, be it pro or consumer - Canon, Nikon, film or digital, we all get along, it is much more about the people then what the person uses.

I was truly glad to meet so many people and only wished my significant other was there with me to enjoy the weekend with all of us so next year, she is coming and that she knows already :smile:

I wish I could spend more time writing something meaningful but... I have to pack and get ready to leave plus work on pictures... Then we have my significant other's father coming this weekend to Montreal, he is a true Formula 1 racing fan and we are going to the race!!! When will I ever find the time to work on more GTG pictures, who knows?

I am just truly thankful to you, Leigh, and Patrick for getting this together and receiving all of us at your table. Thank you Dave W. for putting the prizes together - some truly wonderful and fun stuff, thank you Dave and Frank, Rich for the photo tips, thank you all for making me feel so special, welcomed and accepting me so fast into this great friendly community that is the people who make up the Nikon Cafe.

I had a great bunch of fun and now I feel like I just gave an Oscar award speech - I want to thank my significant other for encouraging as well as pushing me in the direction of my dreams, she does bring out the best in me and I wish I can do the same for her and for all here on the Cafe. (That was more Oscar worthy :rolleyes::biggrin:)

Thanks a bunch and I should really get to folding the laundry now cause she will never do it... Psssst but she is cooking me dinner so I won't complain and happily fold the laundry... :wink: :biggrin:

Yea, life is good and could probably be better but short of a miracle - I wouldn't know how it could get better :smile:

"Life is like a box of chocolate, you just never know what you are going to get" The Nikon Cafe is one of those very special "Chocolate" the best ones you only have a couple of in the box, better cherish it and take your time to take it all in. And I have a suggestion for next year, how about an afternoon of golf? There must be a golf course in Huntsville ... Those who play, super - those who don't - super as well, cause it is a bunch of fun.

Edit: I would like to add that what really makes this a good place it is that people are happy, no complaints - I love that, there are enough troubles in the world and in our life and this is not a place where people complain, it is an uplifting community and when one of us faces difficulties they can count on us, for better or worse. It is a positive community filled with positive people who see and seek the best in one another. (Just thought I'd add this little thing I noticed which makes a huge difference.)

Last edited by a moderator:
what a heartwarming, awesome thread
i wish i'd been there
i'm grateful for all the pictures.... and the marvelous words here

this place really warms my heart.... more each day

i wish i'd been there

Well then...you're the boss. Schedule yourself a few days off this time next year. We'd love to meet you in person!

i wish i'd been there

Look it is very difficult to get everyone to wear a Dart "Phil" hat and trust me Greg, you don't want me to put them all in hospital gown with bubble captions wishing Dr. Spalding was there to make them feel better now do you? :wink::smile:

I think the Dude summed it up for everyone. What a special and great weekend that will leave an impression within all who attended. Looking forward to that date stamped on the calender of fun with a smiley face beside it!!! God bless.

I wanted to join in and thank Leigh and Patrick again for everything. It was great to meet so many shooters and put 3D faces with names. I enjoyed all the conversations and the shooting.

Looking forward to next year!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you again to everyone who has commented in this thread.

I just can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this past weekend.

Well then...you're the boss. Schedule yourself a few days off this time next year. We'd love to meet you in person!
yeah.....
i know
but.... rich, remember that THIS year, i couldn't go because of mac's 8th grade graduation. i was devastated when i learned they fell on the same weekend.

such conflicts won't happen next year (God willing)

i'd love to meet all of you in person, as well

Look it is very difficult to get everyone to wear a Dart "Phil" hat and trust me Greg, you don't want me to put them all in hospital gown with bubble captions wishing Dr. Spalding was there to make them feel better now do you? :wink::smile:
oh.....
actually.... i'd LOVE that :biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom