1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Life Is Good

Discussion in 'People' started by Ottrott's Human, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Feelin' like spring....now I can use garage lighting again.

New 105VR handheld at 1/10 second, f/3, ISO 100:
    430875053_9e38156c4e_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  2. Super Stuart. Don't you just love the natural light of a garage. In intend to use mine for the same purpose this weekend.

Lovely shot of your daughter.

3. AAiiii, this is soooo good!
    Keep 'em coming Stuart, I enjoy these tremendously.

4. Very nice. I need to try this sometime. My garage is full of two cars and a trailer though... :smile:

5. Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Oct 26, 2006
    Toronto, ON

Life is definitely good! great shot, and them beautiful eyes!

6. WOW! says it all.. just WOW..

7. That is one SUPER shot!

8. Wow... another incredible shot!

9. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Nicely done, Stu! The pink goes so nicely with the pix. And welcome back to the world of available light photography. :cool: 

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Beautiful Stuart. I love the way the pink hat brings out her skin tones. I think this is one of your best of Sam.

11. WOW! Perfect color too! My garage is so full of junk, atv's, street bikes, and dirtbikes, I wouldn't have a chance of using it for photography! Keep em comin!

12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

pretty shot. The bokeh left helps make it.

13. If I can rely on someone to bring a smile to my face............ it's Sam!

Beautiful photograph. It has a very delicate and natural feel and the natural light and colours are as subtle as subtle can be. I LOVE when you use horizontal frames for your work. But as you know, that's my thing!

A perfect moment in time Stu................ :eek:  :eek:  :eek: 

G

14. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    Besides the fact that she is absolutely gorgeous!!! how is it that every pic i see that you post the skin tone is perfect??!! Please share some secrets with me!! Camera settings, lighting, etc. I'm always so impressed with the clarity of your pics. I take a million or so of my son, but only get a few with that right on skin tone. He is an avid guitar player (blues) and I want to get a few "great ones" to show off as posters for him (not just of him, but also all his equipment) Any help would be appreciated - thanks so much - between camera equip and guitar equip I should be in bankruptcy court soon!!!:) 

15. JD Photography

JD Photography

Aug 4, 2006
    Boston
    Stuart...

amazing shot! It's been a while since I've seen these and they have been missed, please continue sharing these wonderful photos.

16. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Beautiful shot Stuart, I love it.

Can't beat natural light.

Regards,

17. Just beautiful!
    Thanks,

18. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Gordon. Yes....garage lighting is one of the absolute best ways I have found to get great headshot photo's consistently. Looking forward to seeing your shots from this weekend!

Thank you very much Frits!!

Late fall through late winter my garage is a two car garage......warmer weather it's a one car / natural studio garage!:wink:

The garage is *my* domain though (cars are one of my other passions) so it's always neat and orderly!:smile:
    Thanks.

Thank you Mr. Gates!

:smile:

Thank you Francois!

Thanks a lot Anthony!

Thanks Banhup. I don't have your skills with available light, but I do like the soft diffused glow my garage creates!:smile: It's like a 25' soft box.

Thank you Fred. She's in to hats.....this is one of her favorites.

Yuk....I can't stand a messy garage!!!:wink: :biggrin: Thanks Dianne!

The background created by my bicycle rims and cranks at large aperture is one of my favorite things about shooting in the garage.
    Thanks Mike.

Natural light portraits in landscape mode with lots of space just appeal to me. One of the many areas where you and I see eye to eye.
    Even in a case like this where the subject is looking to the edge of the frame.....which we all know is a "no-no" right?:rolleyes: 

Thanks Graeme.

19. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks Stephanie!
    Skin tone is something I struggled with for a while and still do occasionally though it's become less of a problem as I have gotten a better understanding of Kelvin Temps for various lights and lighting conditions and how to work my camera properly. This shot was taken in Raw, but the WB is as it came out of the camera. Usually I use an Expodisc to set a pre-WB for each light condition. It seems to work very well as long as you first get your exposure dialed in as perfect as possible using the camera's histogram. The only "secret" I know to good skin tone is understanding how to set the WB in the camera and getting a proper exposure. There are others here who use advanced Photoshop techniques in Lab mode, but that stuff is still Greek to me, though at some point I would like to learn how they do it.

Sharpness is another issue entirely. I have a pretty unorthodox sharpening technique in CS2 or CS3 beta that goes against everything I have read about proper use of USM or Smart Sharpen which I combine with a couple of PP tricks I discovered to help make the eyes pop.

If anyone is interested I'm going to eventually do a tutorial on my sharpening technique.... complete with screen shots. I just have to find the time.

Thanks again.

20. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Thanks JD. I really haven't posted many of Sam lately. Thanks for noticing!:smile:

Thank you very much Tom!

Thank you Daniel!!!:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.