1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Life Returns

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by ddietiker, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Took a Trip to southwest Washington for a couple days. Here is one I liked I just finished PP. I was thinking of shooting the mountain dead center, but decided to offset and get the moon and a little more of the landscape on the left. Dead on through the viewfinder just looked a bit boring to my eyes. Does the composition work for you? How about the lack of close foreground details?

D200 12-24 f8 1/15" CP and 2 stop soft GND (ISO 320 Doh :rolleyes: ... forgot to change after shooting the flowers in the breeze)

100317695.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  2. That is one heck of a shot, I'd love that printed large and on my wall. Thanks for sharing.

3. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    you are the master ND grad man Douglas

wish I had the patience to use mine more often

4. I agree with Frank. Your skill and patience with ND work is to be admired. This is a great example

5. A superb shot Douglas of our famous Mt. St. Helens.

6. Not sure what patience you are referring to about using a Grad filter.. It is a mainstay for landscape photographers... As a landscape photographer you have to have patience anyways...

BTW Douglas this works for me with the foreground leading you into the crater itself...

7. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    true Eric
    I guess patience is the wrong word,
    but even though I usually bring them on dedicated " landscape" type outings, I am too lazy to get them out and use them sometimes

is lazy a better word ?? :biggrin:

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Wonderful image !

Congrats !

9. Thanks Anthony. It has a lot more impact large, hard to see all the detail in the small web size.

Thanks Frank. When I get to a spot I'm going to shoot. I take out the ones I think I might use from my pack and put them in my breast pockets or the thigh pockets of my hiking pants. Lots of pockets are very handy.

Thank you Dave

10. Thanks Louie

Thanks Eric. Funny you mentioned patience, I got up there an hour and a half before sunset. scouted around a bit then stood around for almost an hour waiting for the right light.

Thanks Robert

11. AWESOME...All i can say....

12. It's stark and dusty terrain, but pretty to Garrie, thanks.

13. Douglas,
    I like the shot. Nice inobtrusive use of the GND. I'm not bothered by the lack of foreground details. They can be distracting if they aren't in some way unified with the overall scene, IMO. I think you captured the scene here, which of course is the mountain in evening light, very well.

14. licaga

licaga

Jan 7, 2008
    Netherlands
    Peter Vooijs
    perfect shot well done love the view

peter

15. Thank you Jack. In these types of shots on another forum, I have had some critique about lacking close foreground detail. I happen to like wide open landscapes sometimes as well as those with the detailed close foreground. Has me scond guessing sometimes.

Thank you Peter.

16. andras gy

andras gy Guest

Beautiful photo! Congrats!

17. Doug, I don't believe

that this is the same Mt St Helens, Washington that our family just visited. This is quite a striking composition. I wish I had taken it!

Excellent work. You had some nice light to work with.

Where did you shoot this from?

18. Thanks Andras

Thanks Joe, It was taken somewhere along the trail to Spirit Lake. I was on my way back from taking this one https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=178975 Trying to get back before I had to start using a head lamp :smile: I was listening to Elk bugling in the distance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  19. Leonardo

Leonardo

Dec 19, 2006
    Love the shot. I think any the lack of foreground distraction actually helps.

20. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Beautiful Capture!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.