Life with the AF-S 35mm f/1.8G DX

Congrats Omar, on both. The D50 is a great camera and this is the perfect lens to put on it.

One from the other night, my daughter on her bouncy thing. Had to push this one a stop in post because there was an obstruction with the bounce flash and then cropped a bit, down to 3.6MP. My only complaint about the 6MP sensors - not much cropping leeway.

1/320s, f/1.8, iso400, bounced sb-400
493055928_9Ad7B-XL-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AT LAST the weather is clearing here. Going to try to get out at lunch today and snap some spring time photos. :smile:

LOL...

Just happened to bring my camera into the office today so that I could take it out at lunch, and then I just happened to need to get some photos of the mil-spec connectors on some kit for one of our mechanical guys. There are at or near close focus, "Normal" picture style, and straight off the camera besides Fotki (or MS Picture Manager) resizing.

full shot, 1/60s, f/2.8, iso400
493938923_NC73U-M.jpg

100% crop from MS Office Picture Manager (no quality options)
493938218_Rgu7A-X2.jpg

full shot, 1/60s, f/5.6, iso400, pop-up flash to the rescue
493938201_NB7B9-M.jpg

100% crop
493938223_4EbST-XL.jpg

Had to stop down a bit on that one because at 2.8 the markings at the base were completely blurred out since the AF locked onto the plugs. The 35/2 gets closer. 1:4.2 @ 0.82ft/0.25m for the 35/2d vs 1:6.2 @ 0.98ft/0.3m for the 35/1.8g. I miss that, but oh well. If I need to get closer the 18-55 kit lens does 1:3.2, and my 28-105 does 1:2.

It has zero problems keeping up with my wildly erratic toddler so long as I stop down to about 2.8. It's only wide-open that it seems to have trouble holding on. Static shots wide-open or even casual movement, it's fine. It's only "slow" compared to what? PRO LENSES. :smile: I'm spoiled by the 17-55 and the 50/1.4G. Don't let any nit-picking about AF performance in an extreme and demanding situation compared to some of Nikon's priciest lenses stop you from getting a truly great lens. :wink:

I was getting the impression that people were saying it was slow in comparison to other AIS consumer lenses.

[size=+1]I take back everything I said about the AF performance of this lens.[/size]

Because it's passed my most severe tests. :redface:

[size=+1]Wildly gyrating toddler at or near close focus - CHECK[/size]
(posted above)

[size=+1]The "swing" test - CHECK[/size]

494362796_fruKo-XL.jpg

494362911_EH34e-XL.jpg

494366165_UkPJ9-XL.jpg

None of these were pre-focused. Just pointed, aimed, and fired.

[size=+1]The "slide" test - CHECK[/size]

494362234_Gbz3x-XL.jpg

494362172_6NDAr-XL.jpg

494360601_2dCns-XL.jpg

The only thing that wasn't keeping up here was the defective Matrix Metering algorithm on the D40. This lens kept up just fine. These were all shot in Shutter Priority at 1/500s, base iso200, and the resulting aperture was around f/2.8. I can count the number of shots lost due to mis-focus on one hand, and even the mis-focused ones actually looked kinda neat, so no complaints. I'll have to try shooting wide-open more. Maybe I just had really bad light indoors when I got this lens, or my D40 was acting up. Who knows.

Also got outside during lunch and took some photos the other day, although spring hasn't really arrived yet up where I work vs where I live.

494364617_NnQwS-XL.jpg

494364124_G4yHB-XL.jpg

494364041_2h69v-XL.jpg

All of those were stopped down to f/5.6 or more. Was too bright out to shoot at any larger aperture and didn't think to bring my 52mm 2-stop ND filter or a CPL which would have slowed things down. While shooting in relative silence without a screaming laughting toddler :tongue: I was able to HEAR the AF-S motor better. It's plenty quick and tracks nicely, but it's so quiet and the elements so light that you can never hear or feel it otherwise unless it's very quiet. Coarse adjust speed is still slow (like the 50/1.4g, but NOT like the 17-55dx), but once you're locked in (at least at 2.8 and smaller) it holds on nicely. Will do more shooting at 1.8/2.0 and see if it acts up again. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive!

Great shots Steve. I just received mine yesterday and am using it on my D40. Makes a very compact kit.

Thanks Lynn! And congrats on getting yours. :smile: Yup it's definitely very compact. Never had a smaller nor lighter setup that's still fast! :cool:

Steve, you first post was exactly what I would have went for - for my D40, and I had the exact same thinking as you and was about to order it, but then I saw Bjørn Rørsletts review:

"Flare is in general well controlled, but shooting into bright light sources is rewarded by some rainbow-coloured ghosts and flare patches."

My combo D40 and 18-55 is in my opinion the best bargain in the world, when you talk SLR - I love the center-sharpness from the 18-55, and if you do not go for the 18-55 with VR but just the 18-55 II you seldom have flare/ghosting, but I was very interested in the 35 mm f/1.8 because of the fastness (the 18-55 is only 3.5), but I am not interested in to much flare/ghosting, so my asking is:

How bad is it ?

Thank you

great shots Steve...see what you mean about putting it on the D40.
got mine friday, shot a few this afternoon.
great combo on the D60

fatbilly.gif

Steve, you first post was exactly what I would have went for - for my D40, and I had the exact same thinking as you and was about to order it, but then I saw Bjørn Rørsletts review:

"Flare is in general well controlled, but shooting into bright light sources is rewarded by some rainbow-coloured ghosts and flare patches."

My combo D40 and 18-55 is in my opinion the best bargain in the world, when you talk SLR - I love the center-sharpness from the 18-55, and if you do not go for the 18-55 with VR but just the 18-55 II you seldom have flare/ghosting, but I was very interested in the 35 mm f/1.8 because of the fastness (the 18-55 is only 3.5), but I am not interested in to much flare/ghosting, so my asking is:

How bad is it ?

Thank you

---

Nobody answered this, but then I saw the review at dpreview and they were not saying the same as Bjørn Rørslett about flare/ghosting - (I must admit, that flare/ghosting is not a thing I am very happy for, even I know how to work around it, I would better use my energy in composing) - so I ordered it today from Grays of Westminster in England - even for the first time a lens is cheaper in Denmark, then they can not deliver in Denmark for the time being, but Grays can, and I have very good experience with that firm.

So looking forward to have a fast lens on my D40, and it is even smaller than 18-55, so it can fit in a big pocket even better.

---

Nobody answered this, but then I saw the review at dpreview and they were not saying the same as Bjørn Rørslett about flare/ghosting - (I must admit, that flare/ghosting is not a thing I am very happy for, even I know how to work around it, I would better use my energy in composing) - so I ordered it today from Grays of Westminster in England - even for the first time a lens is cheaper in Denmark, then they can not deliver in Denmark for the time being, but Grays can, and I have very good experience with that firm.

So looking forward to have a fast lens on my D40, and it is even smaller than 18-55, so it can fit in a big pocket even better.

I believe you won't be disappointed with your purchase. I think if you use the lens hood and don't point directly to the sun then it's fine.. I haven't noticed any flare when I went out yesterday.
It's a great lens for landscapes too, and compete very well with my 17-55 2.8.I'm so happy with this lens. (I like it even more than 35mm f2 on DX which I ever used). The first 3 picts made by this lens:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=220152
Enjoy your new lens.

How bad is it ?

Thank you
Never seen any, and I've never really stopped shooting with this lens since my last post in here. I've even shot with it on my F100. The only thing that's stopped recently is me having the time and energy to keep updating threads, LOL. :smile: It's seriously a great lens. AF "speed" is plenty quick too. My only real complaint is that sometimes the AF just seems to go to sleep and not refocus when it's clearly out of focus. I've been shooting with it on a D60 that I picked up for my father recently, and did better manually focusing in a dark restaurant! :confused:

I've never seen any flare or ghost issues with the lens, unlike the Tokina 11-16 where you can clearly see and get some of that rainbow ghosting very easily. Then again I generally try to avoid composing shots like that. I think Bjorn's nitpicking on flare and ghosting is more his thing in picking out different colors that he sees in nature and photographing them when commonly back-illuminated by the light source (meaning you're shooting into it). His intent focus on color purity for stuff like this is why he goes crazy about CA I think too. For general photography or chasing my daughter around this is of little concern to me. I have no complaints, other than occasional AF issues. I do use the hood on this lens, which is small enough to not annoy, scare, or otherwise get in the way. Same with the 50mm f/1.4G AF-S.

I was inspired by the many reports of this lens working great on full frame to give it a try myself, on my F100 film body. Portra 800 film here.

503804945_cbBq5-L.jpg

503805544_vwTXj-L.jpg

503791444_kgCmf-XL.jpg

503806103_d7Gdf-L.jpg

503782487_L3mQd-L.jpg

503807810_XVwX4-L.jpg

I had no idea how these would turn out, but mounting it on my F100 I didn't see any obvious vignetting so I gave it a shot. Needless to say I was blown away. Not only is this lens sharper than my old 35/2 wide-open, but it also covers full-frame amazingly well in the situations I'd need it to, such as a dark restaurant where you're all sitting fairly close to each other and need something wider than a 50mm (on FF). I needed very bit of the 1.8 speed here and would have preferred 1.4, but this little guy got the job done. :smile:

I believe you won't be disappointed with your purchase. I think if you use the lens hood and don't point directly to the sun then it's fine.. I haven't noticed any flare when I went out yesterday.
It's a great lens for landscapes too, and compete very well with my 17-55 2.8.I'm so happy with this lens. (I like it even more than 35mm f2 on DX which I ever used). The first 3 picts made by this lens:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=220152
Enjoy your new lens.

Thank you, nht800 - now I can.t wait :biggrin::biggrin:

onna d40 @ f/2 and iso400

494360818_Zfv5Y-XL.jpg

N

Nuteshack

wow Steve ...your film shots are AWESOME!!! u guna love the d700 ..hehe!!!

;-)))

Never seen any, and I've never really stopped shooting with this lens since my last post in here. I've even shot with it on my F100. The only thing that's stopped recently is me having the time and energy to keep updating threads, LOL. :smile: It's seriously a great lens. AF "speed" is plenty quick too. My only real complaint is that sometimes the AF just seems to go to sleep and not refocus when it's clearly out of focus. I've been shooting with it on a D60 that I picked up for my father recently, and did better manually focusing in a dark restaurant! :confused:

I've never seen any flare or ghost issues with the lens, unlike the Tokina 11-16 where you can clearly see and get some of that rainbow ghosting very easily. Then again I generally try to avoid composing shots like that. I think Bjorn's nitpicking on flare and ghosting is more his thing in picking out different colors that he sees in nature and photographing them when commonly back-illuminated by the light source (meaning you're shooting into it). His intent focus on color purity for stuff like this is why he goes crazy about CA I think too. For general photography or chasing my daughter around this is of little concern to me. I have no complaints, other than occasional AF issues. I do use the hood on this lens, which is small enough to not annoy, scare, or otherwise get in the way. Same with the 50mm f/1.4G AF-S.

Thank you for the fine explanation - I had the Tokina (sold it because of going mainly FX), and if it is better it is nothing to talk about - Dpreview did not mention that the lens makes any ghosts either - they even said, that it was resistent to flare.

I was inspired by the many reports of this lens working great on full frame to give it a try myself, on my F100 film body. Portra 800 film here.

503804945_cbBq5-L.jpg

503805544_vwTXj-L.jpg

503791444_kgCmf-XL.jpg

503806103_d7Gdf-L.jpg

503782487_L3mQd-L.jpg

503807810_XVwX4-L.jpg

I had no idea how these would turn out, but mounting it on my F100 I didn't see any obvious vignetting so I gave it a shot. Needless to say I was blown away. Not only is this lens sharper than my old 35/2 wide-open, but it also covers full-frame amazingly well in the situations I'd need it to, such as a dark restaurant where you're all sitting fairly close to each other and need something wider than a 50mm (on FF). I needed very bit of the 1.8 speed here and would have preferred 1.4, but this little guy got the job done. :smile:

Wow, those are rockin'! You'll definitely be able to get the same look to the images on a D700 :smile:

Thank you for the fine explanation - I had the Tokina (sold it because of going mainly FX), and if it is better it is nothing to talk about - Dpreview did not mention that the lens makes any ghosts either - they even said, that it was resistent to flare.
No problem. Sorry I missed your question before. Was probably having too much fun shooting with this thing - LOL. :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom