Life with the AF-S 35mm f/1.8G DX

No problem. Sorry I missed your question before. Was probably having too much fun shooting with this thing - LOL. :biggrin:

Everything is OK, thank you for writing this - but have anybody ever read a better explanation/excuse than having to much fun shooting - this is the best time :smile:?

Steve,

Your film shots with 35 1.8 are wonderful! I like those vignetting.:smile: and understand why you are so busy with it. Having it for a month but yesterday was my first outdoor with the lens . I'm thrilled by it although I use my 17-55 pretty often. It's a gift from Nikon :)

Enjoy.

wow Steve ...your film shots are AWESOME!!! u guna love the d700 ..hehe!!!

;-)))
Wow, those are rockin'! You'll definitely be able to get the same look to the images on a D700 :smile:
Steve is ignoring the d700 comments ..lol
LOL :tongue:

Not avoiding, but I'm definitely curious. How "film like" is the d700? Show me. :biggrin: How would it have handled the shot of my folks? No DX I've seen will do anything like that. How much better is the d700? Would it have blown the windows out in the background to pure ugly white or held onto them like film did? And I like some grain. Makes photos come alive imho, particularly in neutral areas that would otherwise be bland plasticy nothingness. I'm not convinced I should spend >$2000 on yet another DSLR when I love film so much but would love to be convinced. :wink:

Has anyone had any experience with this in low light conditions? Such as concerts? That would be one of my main uses for it and I'm still deciding if I should get it.

I'd buy this lens if I hadn't 35/2 already - vignetting is hot today, so D700 would do just fine :Love:

Edit: Corrected the lens data.

Would it have blown the windows out in the background to pure ugly white or held onto them like film did?

Well, from my experience with the 5D, 1D2, 30D, XT and XSi (sorry no Nikon history), the D700's RAW files are considerably better than anything I have previously experienced. Not only do you have a lot of exposure recovery lattitude, particularly toward the over-exposure end, but the color information seems to stay intact throughout the range. In the 5D, the highlights couldn't be recovered without introducing color-cast or gray-substitutes as one color channel had clipped before the others. If you are willing to fiddle with RAW files, the D700 is quite forgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nuteshack

Not avoiding, but I'm definitely curious. How "film like" is the d700? Show me. :biggrin: How would it have handled the shot of my folks? No DX I've seen will do anything like that. How much better is the d700? Would it have blown the windows out in the background to pure ugly white or held onto them like film did? And I like some grain. Makes photos come alive imho, particularly in neutral areas that would otherwise be bland plasticy nothingness. I'm not convinced I should spend >$2000 on yet another DSLR when I love film so much but would love to be convinced. :wink:

better than film...2000iso
503700939_E9MbP-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sorry, no grain per say..guess u can add that if u like.
:wink:

Has anyone had any experience with this in low light conditions? Such as concerts? That would be one of my main uses for it and I'm still deciding if I should get it.

Mine did alright in low light. Focus is kinda slow and may hunt from time to time, but I managed.

ISO 3200
3389403327_d9d999db1e_o.jpg

ISO 3200
3389403239_7213c8469d_o.jpg

ISO 2800
3382599520_c039385b89_o.jpg

You can always add grain :biggrin:

3409261675_426bd280f2_o.jpg

Philip, what band is that? Did they play the New Orleans Voodoo festival last year? (cool shots)

Which one? At any rate....I wasn't photographing either one by choice, but by assignment so I don't know too much about them really :smile:

shot some more with this lens today. my goodness...i agree with whoever said that this could very well be the best $200 ive spent (i think it was francis). i've forgotten how hard it is to shoot wide open on sunny days, since most of my previous primes had to be stopped down a tiny bit, but this sucker ASKS to be shot wide open. whenever this lens is on, im just going to Av, setting it at f2, and hoping i dont overexpose like a madman, cuz this is just too much fun...

i will admit that i was one of the first in line complaining about this DX only prime. know what?? after using this gem, i HOPE nikon introduces a few more DX only primes (24 and 85 please!). this is definitely how you squash skepticism: with a product that delivers the goods...

-----------^---------

Twas my daughter Katie's 2nd birthday today. :smile: I wanted to get some more stick time with the D60 that my dad bought so that I could test it out more, so I moved the 35/1.8 over to that from the F100 and off we went out to eat...

All of these with the D60, 35/1.8g, and sb-400 bounced. If I couldn't get the bounce angle I needed or wanted to avoid blinding my wife or people at other tables, I just cup my hand over the flash head to get it going in whatever direction I need, and it works fine. I do this rather than carrying my far more clumsy SB-600 around.

Hard to believe she's 2!
504805493_p5TMW-L.jpg

My wife joking about how she actually baked muffins for her daycare class.
504805632_6nTE8-L.jpg

Katie has just enough hair for little pigtails now. Mommy is very pleased. :smile:
504805882_zPhiB-L.jpg

We got a little birthday dessert for her and all the people at the restaurant came around to sing. She was quite shy, LOL!
504805998_UQhCN-L.jpg

She had fun eating it though!
504806162_5isBP-L.jpg

Apple cake and ice cream, yummy!
504806298_DeeG2-L.jpg

Later at home, she stole a sticker from me so I started chasing her around trying to get it. I took this shot completely blind from stomach level with her looking up at me a bit. I love how it captured her look of fear as I was about to charge her. She loves these silly games!
504805749_3k8hM-XL.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom