Lifeguard Tower

The other day I visited Michigan City, Indiana. Although the water appeared to be calm, the tower indicated that dangerous conditions existed along the shore.

As I read more about this, I learned that Lake Michigan is considered the deadliest lake in the country. The lake is massive--more than 300 miles long from north to south. Winds blow across hundreds of miles of open water, without much obstruction, which often creates huge waves that crash into the east shore. Lake Michigan's sandy shores also generate tides that are deceptively strong. Currents catch people by surprise and will pull them more than 100 yards into the lake.

On this rather cold January day, very few people were on the beach. But, those who were kept a safe distance from the water!

2021-01-13 mich city-11a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Last edited:
Beautifully processed. Sure black and white might look good, but this is your art.
No one says Whistler's mother should wear a different colored dress. Our variables are endless, and I enjoy the exploration.
I also like your choice.
Thanks for sharing another great image- strong, powerful, story telling.
gary

Nice image. A good candidate for B&W in my opinion.
Thanks Binnur
Beautiful
Thanks Randy...I thought I might be the only one who liked the desaturated look for this image.
Beautifully processed. Sure black and white might look good, but this is your art.
No one says Whistler's mother should wear a different colored dress. Our variables are endless, and I enjoy the exploration.
I also like your choice.
Thanks for sharing another great image- strong, powerful, story telling.
gary
Thank you, Gary...I do like experimenting with various processing choices. In the end, I only included my favorite version in the post.

Glenn

Real Name
Mike
Nice minimalism. Bet it would look great cropped as a panorama w/ building and shore line.

Nice minimalism. Bet it would look great cropped as a panorama w/ building and shore line.
Thank you...I did several compositions while I was there. I do have a few horizontal ones.
This is stunning, Glenn. The comp, perspective, tones, sky.....the sweet spot!
Thanks Dossy...I’m sure this beach gets very crowded...not so much in January!

Glenn

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom