Lifepixel conversion question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by manzico, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I'm thinking of sending my D100 to lifepixel to have it converted for IR, but I'm not quite sure which conversion to purchase. They have three types, color IR, enhanced color IR, and black and white IR. I tend to do a fair amount of IR shooting and I use a B+W 093 (87C) IR filter. I'm guessing that this corresponds to lifepixel's black and white IR conversion. I haven't used any other "lighter" IR filters so I've never really done any color IR. Having a lot of experience with the 093, I know and love the results. My question is this: how much of a difference will I see in black and white conversions using the color or enhanced color IR setup when compared to my 093 (let's ignore motion blur due to the long exposures I have to take right now)? I know that the color IR conversion will give me a capability I haven't had before, but what I want to know is am I losing something if I convert the shots to black and white? Anyone compared the results?

thanks,

Dave

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I do not know Dave, but I am curious to find out how the three filters differ when used in converted cameras. I would expect the 87c filter to result in slightly better acuity, but also less sensitivity.

I have experienced that an 89b filter converted camera results in about 1.5 to 2 stops greater sensitivity than a normal camera in incandescent light, and about the same sensitivity, or half a stop less sensitive as an unconverted camera in daylight.

3. The question I'd ask myself is how much are you losing to the current sensor filter?

What I like about having the IR filter on the sensor is that most shooting limitations are removed. The difference in image quality as I've seen it on a D70 and D200 between lens mounted filters (I have two, not sure offhand which they are) and the Lifepixel IR filter is huge.

4. Chris,

When you say better acuity do you mean that, since with the 87c you're looking at less of the spectrum, you would get a sharper result? Or are you referring to a generally more intense IR effect? I know that with the 89b I get the benefit of color, but is it at the expense of things like, for example, a really dark sky in b&w conversions. I would imagine you've tried both, any pointers?

Dave

5. Is it just with the calibrated lenses, or in general?

Dave

6. Here's a comparison of a couple IR shots I took a year ago. One is the color (I tinkered with the colors in PS) and the other is a B&W conversion that I did with Corel Photo Album 6. You can judge for yourself. My D70 was converted by Lifepixel almost two years ago (when the price was cheaper!).

Color:
    Copyofthetree.

B&W conversion:
    DeltaShower.

Hope this helps.

7. In general. There are always focusing issues. Worst focusing issues in my experience are with the D200. I was able to get the D70 to behave pretty well for several lenses. On the D200 I just use one or two that I know how to focus.

8. One other thing...IR photography with certain lenses tends to produce "hotspots." Here's a shot I took of the same tree with the 18-70 lens.
    CopyofDSC_3544.

If you look closely, you'll see a bright spot near the center of the photo. This is a hotspot. I didn't notice it until Bjorn pointed it out to me (quite a while ago). He has some good information about IR photography on his site. I'd suggest you check out his site: http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

The shots I posted earlier were taken with the Beast.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    With the 89b filter, you are capturing some red light along with infrared. The red light only is transmitted by a quarter of the pixels. Pure infrared light is transmitted by the 87c filter, and all three Bayer filters are clear to infrared light. So with the 87c all the pixels will have even lighting, while with the 89b, the red pixels will be much brighter, resulting in a loss of resolution due to uneven demosaicing (but still better than in visible light!)

If you need the D70, say the word! It's a great camera, works well with the 18-70 and the 12-24! I nearly got in trouble for using it on the Ralph Gibson shoot last spring. :redface:

10. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I also experience "Hot-Spots" on my IR converted D50. I was just about to disassemble and clean the sensor thinking it might have been caused by some substance on either the sensor or filter. Thanks for the info.:smile: