Lift

I just returned from a vacation in Vermont where these photos of ski lifts were captured while hiking down Killington Mountain.

Photo #1
Mike 2020-10-04--0023-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2020-10-04--0006-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2020-10-04--0081-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2020-10-04--0033-S.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Terri!

The telephoto compression in No. 2 makes for a very unusual shot. Black and white conversions makes them all unusual IMHO. Your creativity is being showcased here.
As for the compression, you're probably aware that if we compare an image that was captured using a long lens with an image that was captured using a 50mm lens and cropped to match the first image, they will look the same with regard to so-called compression.

As for the decision to convert to monochrome, one main reason is that the colors were a complex distraction and converting to black-and-white simplified the scene. The other main reason, which actually goes hand in hand with the first one, is that all of the subjects are all about line and/or shape. Simplifying to black-and-white helps the eye immediately see those lines and shapes.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Your keen eye for composition shines in these images. B&W works well here, for exactly the reasons you stated, Mike: line and shape and simplification. I was about to make exactly those points when I saw your explanation.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom