Lifting the Spirit

Real Name
Mike
The weather gods finally gave us a break this weekend here in Ohio. I managed to get outside to a couple of my favorite locations today, and to my delight, I found some Spring color! Enjoy! I sure did!

Skunk Cabbage

1215146513_fvgBv-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Snow Drops and Cypress Knees

1215146325_XVqQp-O.jpg

Winter Aconite and not sure what the violet ones are, 'cause for the life of me, I can't find them in my field guides.

1215146356_WkSMa-O.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
The weather gods finally gave us a break this weekend here in Ohio. I managed to get outside to a couple of my favorite locations today, and to my delight, I found some Spring color! Enjoy! I sure did!

Skunk Cabbage

http://midocr.smugmug.com/Nature/Fl...nk-cabbage-shoots-1024/1215146513_fvgBv-O.jpg

Snow Drops (I believe) and Cypress Knees

http://midocr.smugmug.com/Nature/Fl...rops-and-cypress-knees/1215146325_XVqQp-O.jpg

Need some help with the ID on these, 'cause for the life of me, I can't find them in my field guides....Bob....are you listening?

http://midocr.smugmug.com/Nature/Flowers-and-Greenery/DSC9447-1024/1215146356_WkSMa-O.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Very nice, Mike. You sure did find some nice color. I have found some plants just starting to break through -- you are well ahead of us.

If the "Bob" you referred to is me, I had a quick look in a couple of online guides to Ohio and Pennsylvania wildflowers, but didn't find that one:frown: Maybe Larry (fishbio) or JimT (Pa) will chime in:smile:.

Real Name
Mike
So that's what skunk cabbage looks like.
That is the early stage of the plant, aka, the flower. The green shoots around it will grow into large, broad green leaves. And it's fragrance does resemble a skunk. :Curved:

Real Name
Mike
Very nice, Mike. You sure did find some nice color. I have found some plants just starting to break through -- you are well ahead of us.

If the "Bob" you referred to is me, I had a quick look in a couple of online guides to Ohio and Pennsylvania wildflowers, but didn't find that one:frown: Maybe Larry (fishbio) or JimT (Pa) will chime in:smile:.
Thanks Bob. I found them in an online BULB catalog - Winter Aconite. Don't know if these are growing naturally or if they were started intentionally in the area. They, along with the Snow Drops and the little violet flowers were growing everywhere in this particular area.

Very interesting, never seen that plant.

I love the colors in #2 and #3. Great job.
Thanks Dean. The colors were a fabulous find on a cool, cloudy day after such a long dull winter. :smile:

I'm jealous. Spring is so far behind this year. Parts of the St. Louis area got 4-5 inches of snow this morning. Thanks for the perk up.

Thanks Bob. I found them in an online BULB catalog - Winter Aconite. Don't know if these are growing naturally or if they were started intentionally in the area. They, along with the Snow Drops and the little violet flowers were growing everywhere in this particular area.

Aconite! JimT had some photos of some that his wife had planted. It's not a native plant -- someone must have *sneaked* those in.:smile:

Real Name
Mike
I'm jealous. Spring is so far behind this year. Parts of the St. Louis area got 4-5 inches of snow this morning. Thanks for the perk up.
Thanks Aaron. It was quite a perk up for me too. Spring seems to be coming along pretty much on schedule around here. I just want it NOW! :tongue:

Aconite! JimT had some photos of some that his wife had planted. It's not a native plant -- someone must have *sneaked* those in.:smile:
That's what I'm thinking. The area is actually part of Ferncliff Cemetery and Arboretum. I don't really remember this much of it in past years in this area. There's really quite a bit along a 100 yard stretch below some limestone cliffs. The area stays very wet pretty much all year.

Nice color & iq!
Thanks Steve!

Very nice photo of the aconite. My wife says the blue flowers in that photo are Siberian Squill (Scilla siberica). We have some in our yard, but they bloom much later than he aconite.

My wife is the flower authority - not me. She just calls them "scilla".

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom