Light box versus Umbrella

Now that I've seen Tony's suggested soft box, I realize that it and the clamp required for use with a speed light are actually not more expensive than a reflector lamp. That's great to know! Seeing how small it is, I also wonder if it is heavier or requires more storage room than a reflector lamp, or at least whether any difference is enough to matter.

Last edited:
Now that I've seen Tony's suggested soft box, I realize that it and the clamp required for use with a speed light are actually not more expensive than a reflector lamp. That's great to know! Seeing how small it is, I also wonder if it is heavier or requires more storage room than a reflector lamp, or at least whether any difference is enough to matter.
The Godox types I have either fold down to a flat triangle or use an umbrella type mechanism
This may give some clue as to folded size
Godox S-Type Bracket Holder Bowens Mount With 60x60cm Speedlite Foldable Softbox | eBay

I'm confident Tony and perhaps Jim as well realize that that's not exactly correct, so I point out at least to others that it's the relative size of the light source, not alone the physical size. The sun is the largest light source available to mankind. When not diffused by clouds, it produces very hard shadows. A considerably smaller light source such as a lamp that is close to the scene will produce considerably softer shadows. Move that same lamp farther away from the scene and it will produce noticeably harder shadows. That's because moving it farther away makes it relatively smaller.

It is more a combination of size and intensity. The relative size of the sun is not great compared to our photographic subjects, but it is very intense. Diffusers and reflectors help to remove the direct rays of the sun and produce a more diffuse radiation field which leads to more even lighting and less specular reflections. Umbrellas and diffusers like soft boxes can also serve that purpose for our terrestrial artificial light sources.

I've been using a Wescott Apollo 28" x 28". It uses a hotshoe/swivel mount. Has a recessed front for greater light control and you can get an optional grid insert.

"The 28 x 28" Westcott Apollo is a softbox based on an umbrella frame fabricated from fiberglass for added durability. It needs no speed ring to attach it to a flash head. Simply open it, and slide the shaft into the umbrella receptor on the flash head or the umbrella swivel supporting your speedlite. A lightweight reflector plate may be purchased separately to produce indirect lighting."

Latest threads

Top Bottom