1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Light Meter use when everything is manual.

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by TedB, Jul 10, 2008.

1. I have very limited experience uses flashes, but want to change this. I've used the SB800 in TTL mode....so haven't had to think about things much, just readjusted exposure when necessary. My use will be both fill flash in the outdoors and lighting objects in low light (but not in a studio of any kind).

However, I'd like to be able to use RF controllers (like PocketWizards etc) to fire off camera....and they don't work with TTL. So I'm thinking that I'll have to meter the scene(probably with something like a Sekonic meter) and make the appropriate selection in both the camera (D2X) and the flashes (SB800's) somehow.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how this is done....books, url's anything? I've searched the forum and the net at large, and haven't quite gotten there.

Thanks

Ted

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    You can use the camera's meter for the scene (ambient light) and adjust the flash output by trial and error. You quickly learn what the required flash output is going to be and it only takes a few shots to fine tune it. Of course, it is easier and a bit quicker with a flash meter.

3. Your histogram makes a great flash meter.

4. Good points.....maybe I'll do some experimentation and wait on the light meter.

Ted

5. Start here at Strobist.com's lighting 101 series. It will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about off-camera flash. It is without a doubt the single best source for learning to light your images with small off-camera strobes. When you're done reading, read it again. You'll be an expert in no time. DO NOT buy a light meter right away. I'll bet you will find you really don't need one unless, perhaps, you are shooting film.

6. Thanks for the link Bob, took a quick peek and I'll have to set aside some time...great info.

Thank you!

Ted

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.