Light Meters

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Connahhh, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Something brought up all too often here, I'm sure.

Okay, so I'm in the market. I don't want to spend a ton, maybe $100 tops.

Anything to look in to?

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    go for the Voigtlander VC Meter

3. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I was looking at those, Chris, and actually saw one on Craigslist. I sent him an email.

Does it have an attachment for spot metering? I would think that would be a big deal.

EDIT: Any opinions on the Gossen luna-pro sbc? One looks like it might be going for cheap on eBay right now.

4. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have to go with Chris on the Sekonic but the VC is a fine meter also. My only complaint with the VC meter is the ASA dial does not have click stops to hold it to the selected ASA.

5. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    Gossen Lunapro. Never found the need for much else. check KEH, around $75.00. Minolta meters are fine too. I would avoid ebay, calibration issues.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Actually that little Sekonic is the only meter for under a hundred bucks (by a penny!) I could find new. I don't think it has a spot meter.

I do have a Gossen Luna Pro (CdS, not sbc). As Lefty says, it's a fine meter, and you can find them used for cheap. It's built like a tank. I have the 'spot' (actually a 7.5°) attachment.

I like the concept of the Voigtländer meter too, but it goes for about twice your stated budget.

7. I use an old Minolta Auto Meter III. Excellent kit. It's ambient only but there is an ambient/flash version. You can find them used in the UK for not far off what would be $100.

Ronnie

8. In fact see this thread for the ambient/flash version for sale here.

Ronnie

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Thanks everyone. Ill look into these options.

10. Connor I just ordered one the Sekonic L-208 Twinmasters. It's inexpensive, small and best of all comes with an adapter that allows it to slide in the flash hotshoe.

11. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I looked at that one Andri. It looks good, I was really considering it. Though I must say, I won't be popping it on to the hotshoe on my Hasselblad. :biggrin:

12. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Connor since you'll be using your meter about like I use mine ( sports for your 6x6 ) I can suggest the Sekonic L-308. I really like mine and after the first few tries where I tested the measure with a dSLR side by side I now fully trust it for film and wether I use it for "normal" photography or as a flash-meter it's been flawless :wink:

13. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I've been really considering that meter too Julien. Does it read out into EV's? Do all meters? I would think it would be super easy to just point the thing up, press the button, and set an EV. I love the way Hasselblad lenses work, with the exposure staying locked the whole time.

Also, does it have a spot attachment I could buy?

14. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Yep it does EVs so that's pretty handy for the Hassy :smile:

As far as spot well you can slide the white dome and that's how I use mine as spot and to my surprise it works pretty well, granted you point it in the right direction of course. Here are the specs.

15. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Is there any other options for less money? As much as I'd like a flash meter too, $200 is a lot when you have to fund backs/lenses!

16. Nils

Nils

Mar 30, 2007
    Aptos, California
    I would second the Minolta Auto Meter I just paid for the III from KEH, but they sent me the ambient instead. $80.00. The only thing I have to say about it is it doesn't have an on/off switch it has more of a sleep function which apparently kills the battery. I snipped off a piece of film and slid it in between the contacts and that does the job.
    Nils

17. The Auto Meter III is an ambient only meter. The IIIF is the flash meter version. I agree about the lack of an on/off switch though. The "lock" doesn't really save the battery as it only disables the "read" button.

Ronnie

18. Nils

Nils

Mar 30, 2007
    Aptos, California
    My bad Ronnie, I meant to say they sent me the IIIF.

19. :biggrin:

Ronnie