Light modifiers..

This is probably old news to most of you but I thought I would show what happens when the light changes.

First shot is direct sunlight.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Next is with a diffuser held over the subject.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The light didn't last long so I did not have a chance to use flashes as well. I'll leave everyone alone now. :wink:

Charles you are right, direct sunlight brings out a lot of secondary color specially in the red. The angle that the sun shines also makes a lot of difference.

I once read that the worst time to take picture is between 10 am and 4 pm because the sun is too high in the sky and the shadows are pointing downward.

I have seen once a program on tv about English gardens and there was a team taking pictures of flowers and they were using a big tent that they put over the flowers and that was made out of a very thin layer of white material so to have a very soft white light.

Gilles said:
Charles you are right, direct sunlight brings out a lot of secondary color specially in the red. The angle that the sun shines also makes a lot of difference.

I once read that the worst time to take picture is between 10 am and 4 pm because the sun is too high in the sky and the shadows are pointing downward.
That is when I took these images to show the differences.

Gilles said:
I have seen once a program on tv about English gardens and there was a team taking pictures of flowers and they were using a big tent that they put over the flowers and that was made out of a very thin layer of white material so to have a very soft white light.
I don't often get time to shoot when the light is good so I have to try and make the light better. For this I use a photoflex 5 in 1 with the reflective material removed to use as a diffuser. A small version of thier tent. There are no purple flowers blooming in my wifes garden at this time to show the difference there. It is a much more dramatic change in my opinion.

Charles,

Very good object lesson. I definitely like the version with the diffuser. I'll have to give this technique a try. ;-)

Thanks for the post.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom