Light modifiers..

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by cwilt, Jul 2, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    This is probably old news to most of you but I thought I would show what happens when the light changes.

First shot is direct sunlight.
    [​IMG]

Next is with a diffuser held over the subject.
    [​IMG]

The light didn't last long so I did not have a chance to use flashes as well. I'll leave everyone alone now. :wink:

2. Charles you are right, direct sunlight brings out a lot of secondary color specially in the red. The angle that the sun shines also makes a lot of difference.

I once read that the worst time to take picture is between 10 am and 4 pm because the sun is too high in the sky and the shadows are pointing downward.

I have seen once a program on tv about English gardens and there was a team taking pictures of flowers and they were using a big tent that they put over the flowers and that was made out of a very thin layer of white material so to have a very soft white light.

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    That is when I took these images to show the differences.

I don't often get time to shoot when the light is good so I have to try and make the light better. For this I use a photoflex 5 in 1 with the reflective material removed to use as a diffuser. A small version of thier tent. There are no purple flowers blooming in my wifes garden at this time to show the difference there. It is a much more dramatic change in my opinion.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Charles,

Very good object lesson. I definitely like the version with the diffuser. I'll have to give this technique a try. ;-)

Thanks for the post.

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thankyou Charles -- I've read and heard about this, but had never seen a demonstration. Now I'll have to do my own experiments.