Light Painting with Flashlight-first one

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Nov 10, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    This is a 'light painting' that I just finished. It was done with a flashlight and then processed in Capture and Photoshop. This was done in my garage and the original had a golf cart in the picture. It's done with a very slow shutter speed, in the dark with a flashlight. I have to be close to the subject and paint the area I want to show up in the picture.. and can't go back over the area where I've already painted.

I must say that the process of light painting is fascinating and with practice I hope to get good at it. This is my first successful one and I am pleased with the outcome so wanted to share it with you.

Gaye

43993302-L.

2. Hi Gaye,

You should be proud of this work.................that's an awesome shot Gaye.
    I'll have to get you and Jenna together to light paint.

Dave

3. A wonderful capture. Very good effect with light painting, Gaye. Want to try it when I have time. So Gaye, and Dave, any advice on how to achieve an even painting?

4. Hi Phil

The only thing I can say is lots and lots of practice. I just purchased a LED flashlight and the light from it appears to give a nicer/softer finish on the photo.
    The expert on this is Doug Barber, you might want to ask him. He is also on this board

5. Way to go Gaye, I admire you for even attempting this. Your image is quite nice.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Gaye, that's great! The dark streaks look like enigmatic shadows. The isolation is near perfect! As a light painting this is excellent. For a first light painitng, this is nothing less than ... Wow!

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Dave,
    You all just come on down here this winter and we'll find lots to 'light paint'. I'm sure Jenna can show us what and how to do it.

Thanks for posting your nice comments,

Gaye

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2005
  8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Phil,
    Thanks for posting your good comments. Yes, the trick is much practice and the right flashlight sure helps too.

My first mistake (of many) was that my flash wasn't strong enough and I painted too far away. Found out I should be 1 1/2 to 2 feet away from the poor person trying to stand there without moving or blinking :biggrin:

So I got a stronger LED flash. The first one I got was so bright it was like pouring a bucket of white paint all over the person or thing being photographed. For this painting I used a little LED flashlight and it worked well. Remember the room has to be pitch black.

Also, remember that you can go between the camera and the subject. Just wear dark clothes. In this picture I started on the left of the picture and worked my way over to the right side of the picture by crossing in front of him.

For a 'person' picture you'll need someone who is a very good sport and who cares about how the picture turns out. This person (husband) realized he wouldn't get dinner for a week if he blinked or moved.

Hope you have time soon to do this--and then post your results as you progress. Have fun and thanks!

Gaye

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gordon,
    Many thanks for making my day with your valued comments. Funny thing about this 'light painting' is that once I got started, several weeks ago, I knew I'd continue practicing until I finally got a picture that I felt good about.

Nice thing about this picture is that Stan can't play golf anymore because of health problems........so this image is particularly meaningful to both of us.

Thanks again,

Gaye

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Chris,

You have definitely made my day and given me much encouragement.

Thanks very much!

This is also my first attempt at using Photoshop..so I feel I am starting down several roads at one time.. I think it's called 'learn by doing'....

I value your comments!

Gaye

11. One of my favorite things about photography is manipulating the light in such ways.

I really like your results.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Gaye,
    Good to see you posting again.

This is a wonderful image.
    Congratulations on even trying this.
    I would not know where to start :>))

Keep up the good work.

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Beezle,

You're so right about 'light'. That's what photography is all about and I"m finding that out slowly. Fortunately I live in Florida where we have sunshine all winter (and orange juice :biggrin: )

Thanks for looking and commenting,

Gaye

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gale,

Great to hear from you and thanks for your enthusiastic interest in the light painting...

You 'start' by getting the flashlight. Remember you can do it on anything..doesn't have to be a person. I would like to do my three doggies but they won't stay still for 15 seconds :biggrin:

Have fun over there and I always enjoy your posts and images.

Gaye

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gaye,

I can only agree with Chris and the other posters here. I'm envious that your first attempt is so good. I'm interested in trying this after seeing some of Doug's work, but I'm sure that my first won't come close to this.

Very well done. :wink:

16. Very well done...
    I really like the feel and light in this image.
    I can just see him standing there waiting his turn to play and enjoying life as the time goes by.
    Good capture with a classy artistic flair.

17. Gaye,

I think you did such a wonderful job on this. You are going to frame it. Right? It is worth it. Beautiful. What slow shutter speed did you you use for this?

I wanted to know if you have a website. I would love to see some more of your wonderful work.

18. You did VERY well on this... I love the emphasis on the gloved hand, very important for golfers. He was such a good sport to stand still for so long, of course, your threat helped, I'm sure!! LOL Very, very nice... frame it!

19. Gaye, I tried this recently and agree this is a fun technique to use and master. You sure did a great job on your initial attempt!

My questions for you are how long was the shot, how did you hold/support the flashlight and how far was the flashlight from the subject?

Thanks,

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

20. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Frank,

Just come on down and I'll not only show you Ding Darling again but we'll shoot 'light painting' pictures in the dark..so bring your flashlight. You must try it to believe it,

Thanks much,

Gaye

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2005