Light stand & Boom Arm

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Mojovase, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Hi...

Am looking to get a heavy duty light stand with boom arm. Obviously there are substantial price differences between the Bogen/Avenger and Alien Bees.

Am looking to get casters on the stands as well too. Any suggestions? I don't plan to move the modifiers too much on the boom arm and probably won't need to adjust that often. Some people have said that the AB boom arm is limited, although I like the idea of using the AB counterweight, as opposed to using the sandbag.

Will I still need a sandbag to keep the stand stable?

Thanks.

Jon

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I use the AB boom with their HD stand all the time. Works well without any need for sandbags. I have the AB casters on the stand that holds my main light since I do move it a lot. Again, works very well and I may get another set for the boom stand now that I think about it, since that is unwieldy and heavy to move.

3. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Cool.

Do you find it cumbersome to adjust the boom arm with the AB version? Someone mentioned that you have to use the pre-set holes to either slide the arm out further or slide in, whereas the Bogen can be adjusted at any length?

And of course, the further the arm is extended out, the counterweight has to be moved back the opposite direction. With that in mind, is it fairly easy or annoying to move it?

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    It doesn't have preset holes. You can just slacken off the clamp and set the boom to any length. It's not that hard, and typically I don't have to move it very much during a shoot. I am more likely to be changing the angle of the light it is supporting.

5. I've used the exact same set up and the thing scared the bejesus out of me. I guess it might be okay for portraits, but you get people moving around on the set and it's a recipe for disaster. I got rid of it and mounted the hairlight to an overhead rail.

If you insist on it, get some sandbags or shotbags to weight the stand. To get the thing balanced hold it where you intend t clamp it to the stand and adjust the weight/light until it's balanced in your hand. It's nearly impossible to figure out if it's balanced when it's on the stand.

And just be careful you don't knock it over... it could kill somebody.

Make sure your liability policy is paid up too.

Sorry

6. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
  7. That does look like a nice unit.

Everyone here knows I'm very high on Alien Bee gear but their boom arm is one thing I could never recommend based on my experience with the thing.

Let us know how it works.