1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Light Weight Landscape Tripod Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by MikeT, Oct 3, 2008.

1. I have browsed this forum for a tripod suitable for landscapes.

This thread was interesting, but when I do a Google search for some of them they have been discontinued.

This tripod appeals to me as an all in one kit but the weight will probably be an issue up in the mountains.

I don't know if this is true or not but I have read somewhere on that you should purchase a tripod with a load capacity of three times your heaviest gear you are going to put on it.

My gear is listed in my sig except for a 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF-S VR that I just ordered.

Can anyone suggest a suitable light weight landscape tripod kit preferable under $300 price range?
    I could go more, but don't want to. :biggrin:

Thanks,

MikeT

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. I have this Velbon lightweight tripod (now discontinued) for hiking and travel. At 2.1 lbs it carries very well. But for the D200 and a moderate weight lens, like the 28-105, it is not sufficiently sturdy when raised to anywhere near maximum height.

You certainly don't want a 7-lb tripod for hiking (at least I don't!).

But on the other hand, look at what Ansel Adams lugged up the mountains in Yosemite :redface:.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  3. Thanks for your suggestion Glenn.
    I wouldn't have any idea which head to purchase for the legs.
    I was looking for a kit with a head included.

Thanks Jim for your suggestion. Too bad it's discontinued.

Yeah! And there wasn't any hiking trails back then either! :eek: 

MikeT

4. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
  5. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    More than you wanted to spend...

....but maybe the last time you'll spend it.:smile:

A good entry to the arca style system. Comes with a universal plate also.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/ballheadbh3.html

Solid and smooth. Eventually you'll want to get custom brackets, but it'll get you started.

I use a Feisol 3401. Pretty good for the money also.

6. Actually it's not; it has just been improved with a small ball head included and a more compact folded size. Look here.

7. Glenn,
    I like that one with the lever locking legs. I've never used a ball head so I can't relate to using one. I have an old light duty pan head which is just too light duty. My camera will slip in portrait position.
    The price is a bit much but maybe that is what I'll have to pay to get a light weight travel tripod.

Thanks for your suggestion John.
    It seems to me that the tripods and heads being sold seperately cost more than the kit ones.
    I guess I'm partial to a pan head since that is all I've ever used.

Jim,
    Oh! I didn't see that one. I like it other than the twist locks on the legs.
    I had a tripod back in the '80's which had twist locks and they would slip sometimes.
    I'm sure the newer ones don't or shouldn't.
    Isn't the six pound load a little light? Sometimes it feels like my camera and lens weight that much. :biggrin:

The thing is, I don't know how useable a ball head tripod is for landscapes.

MikeT

8. FWIW, I actually just bought my tripod and ballhead this morning; total cost $250.

The tripod is the Giottos MT 7251 which is being replaced by the M-92/82 series. On the plus side is the lightweight and compact design, the included carry case, the ability to extend the legs at more rakish angles, and the built-in level.

The head I chose was the Vanguard SBH-100 which seems quite sturdy, yet still light. I also like the fact it has the both horizontal and vertical levels.

:Unsure: I'll be using it this Fall at the temperatures drop and see how these work out with my D40 and 70-300mm.

9. Hey Thanks Mark!
    While a little more than I wanted to pay and the twist lock legs.
    I like it! The tripod weight with the ball head at four pounds shouldn't be to heavy lugging up the mountain trails.

I guess I best get some additional funds fast if it is being discontinued.

Thanks again Mark,

MikeT

10. You're welcome. I hope whatever you chose works out for you.

Good luck!

11. Marc,

I ordered the one you suggested yesterday.

Thanks again.

MikeT

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.