light weight lens kit for D3 - unconventional ideas

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TerribleTwins, Jul 29, 2008.

1. posted a thread on this earlier & got some useful feedback - but want to explore this a little bit further.

A conventional (at least for me) answer would be:

a) 28-105
    b) 70-300 VR

There are however a couple of things potentialy wrong with these (again from my point of view & its not the quality of the lenses)

1) There is the potential for these to become first choice in my bag rather than my existing lenses & I like my existing lenses - just not the weight at times:biggrin:

2) They are zooms. Nothing wrong with that - I have used zooms almost exclusively all my photographic life, it's just that if I keep using zooms, I am not going to learn how to use fixed focal lengths & all the discipline / creativity that using these can bring.

So my unconventional (for me) idea is as follows:

a) Wide angle prime (24?)
    b) 180 prime - Voigtlander SL APO F4 (if I can get one)

Logic (bearing in mind that this s primarily for travelling when I can't or don't want to take the full set) being as follows:

If I really need wide then I take the 17-35, 50mm & the 180
    If I need mid range then 24, 35-70 & the 180
    If I am shooting Action then the 24, 50 & 70-200
    or if I really want a challenge then the 24, 50 & 180.

So would appreciate any thoughts / comments on the above, plus suggestions for the primes - they can be either MF or AF

wide angle - is 24 the right focal length - is the Nikkor 24 F2.8D the correct lens?

180 - Prime - went with the voigtlander over the Nikkor for a couple of reasons - cost (359 according to B&H - I can't seem to find a Nikkor 180 2.8 for less than 450 on the used market) and weight ---oh & I've seen the photo's that Paul Lindquist has posted with this lens:biggrin:

Seriously - any other options thoughts / combinations appreciated.

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    the 35/2 is small, as is the 50/1.8, and the Sigma 24/2.8 (better and smaller than the nikkor version).

nikon also makes a pancake lens.

3. Thanks - will check out the sigma - I have the nikkor 50 1.4 already. I think the 35 F2 may not be wide enough.

4. ora-et-labora

ora-et-labora

Mar 15, 2008
    Earth
    If MF isn't an issue, try the 28/2 AIS. People say it's a great lens, and it offers an additional stop. But the AFD 24/2.8 is not that bad, I used it on my D80 as my standard travel walkaround lens (= compares to the 35 on your D3) until I got the Zeiss 25 (which would be also a GREAT choice - however, it's not that light than the 24 from Nikon or Sigma). With the Sigma, I found the AF is really loud - optics are fine.

5. Markus.
    Thanks for the info - I would like to consider the Zeiss, but it is a little out of the price range at the moment.

Thought about the 28/2, but wasn't sure if it was wide enough - thats why I'm thinking about a 24.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.