Light-weight third-party F to Z adapter for older Nikon lenses

Real Name
Bill Walderman
I have some Nikon lenses from the film era that I"d like to use on my Z6, recognizing that they won't be able to get AF functionality and will need to be focused manually. The Nikon F to Z adapter can allow this, of course, but at ~135 g. it adds to weight and profile, which I'd like to avoid to the extent possible.

I'm wondering whether anyone might any experience with third-party F to Z adapters that don't provide AF functionality but that are lightweight and reliable, or else point me to an earlier thread on this topic? My own search on this site hasn't found anything directly relevant to my concerns.

I should note that I've also posted this question on the DPReview Nikon Z Mirrorless forum.

Thank you in advance.

Bill

Real Name
Bill Walderman
I would look at either Kippn or Novoflex. The Kipon goes for around $75, and the Novoflex goes for around $200.
Thanks, ijm. I'm aware of the Kipon adapter, but I've found little information about this on the B&H and Adorama websites, and I'm asking around before I take the plunge.

The Novoflex adapter is expensive (though probably very well-made) and is designed for G lenses. I'm looking for something that's less functional but works well for MF lenses and is lightweight.

I already have the Nikon FTZ adapter, but as I noted, I'm looking for something that allows me to use MF and AF-D or AF lenses without the weight and thickness of the Nikon adapter.

Last edited:
I have some Nikon lenses from the film era that I"d like to use on my Z6, recognizing that they won't be able to get AF functionality and will need to be focused manually. The Nikon F to Z adapter can allow this, of course, but at ~135 g. it adds to weight and profile, which I'd like to avoid to the extent possible.

I'm wondering whether anyone might any experience with third-party F to Z adapters that don't provide AF functionality but that are lightweight and reliable, or else point me to an earlier thread on this topic? My own search on this site hasn't found anything directly relevant to my concerns.

I should note that I've also posted this question on the DPReview Nikon Z Mirrorless forum.

Thank you in advance.

Bill
You can always get a Leica-M to Z adapter and stack a Leica-M to Nikon F adapter in conjunction. I like this setup, because you get the option of using both M-mount glass and Nikon-F glass, while keeping a slimmer adapter setup.

Here's a picture of the setup:
33544985578_03ab1c0e62_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

190318_NIKON_Z6_SAMPLES_FRIOLO_011 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Same adapter with Leica M-mount glass:
46505611865_64ea1d02c0_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

190318_NIKON_Z6_SAMPLES_FRIOLO_009 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Real Name
Bill Walderman
You can always get a Leica-M to Z adapter and stack a Leica-M to Nikon F adapter in conjunction. I like this setup, because you get the option of using both M-mount glass and Nikon-F glass, while keeping a slimmer adapter setup.
Thanks for the suggestion, Jonathan. I have an M to Z adapter, so perhaps an F to M adapter would do the trick.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom