lighthouse at Toronto outer harbour

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by VictorM, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Two views of the light house at the Toronto outer harbour.

Took these last fall using a D70s and 12-24mm (had just got the lens and was trying it out). It was a stormy day, with rapidly changing light, which made the clouds challenging but loads of fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Very interesting... I'm assuming this is the lighthouse at the end of the Leslie Street Spit? I used to bike out there every weekend - great spot for photos.

I like these - the B&W treatment works well. It's had a strange effect on the sky in the first shot.

3. Thanks Sandi, yes you are right about the location on the Leslie spit. I knew you would recognize it :)

The sky does come out somewhat pixelated in the first shot, not so bad in the original (more smooth), the jpeg compression seems to be exaggerating it.

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Victor :

Nice hard shots.

I wonder if these shots would be candidates for the grain approach one gets with some software ? They really have the old-time hard contrast feel of such shots.

John P.

5. nice conversion, but it looks more like a prison than a lighthouse.

6. I agree with Raul, these have a 50's Alcatraz look about them!! LOL

By the way, that's not the best location to be caught in a storm - a LONG way back to the car! Be careful out there, esp with lightning.

7. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    nice b/w images of the lighthouse

8. Good idea. They are certainly gritty to begin with, some additional grain can only help. I'll experiment with that.

True :) there is that prison-looking fence around it, must be to keep the troublesome kids away...

Thanks!

9. No kidding, that has happened to me several times. Last fall was the first time I ever ventured onto the spit (had just got a DSLR and was looking for some different scenery), and I got caught in a hailstorm. I was just on foot, and had no other transportation so I had to run into a porta-poty for shelter :biggrin: But I got some good photos of storm clouds over the financial district (I'll post those in the future)