Lighthouse Hilton Head, SC

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by voider, Nov 18, 2005.

1. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    [IMGO]http://voider.net/gallery/albums/album11/Leuchtturm1024.jpg[/IMGO]

Let me know if you like it...especially the PP. I can post the original if anybody wants to see it.

Make NIKON CORPORATION Model NIKON D70
    Aperture Value f/5.6 Color Space sRGB
    Exposure Bias Value 0.00 EV Exposure Program Aperture Priority
    Flash No Flash Focal Length 34.00 mm
    Metering Mode Multi-Segment Shutter Speed Value 1/800 sec

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice image. I imagine you could make several different versions of this image. Very nice.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I like it, creates a nice mood. The toning is a bit strong for my tastes, I like the toning in shots like this to be stronger in the shadows but get fainter from the midtones through to the highlights.

What post-processing did you do to create the toning, Photoshops Duotone or something else more manual?

4. you obviously traveled a long ways to get this image. I like it but like jeff find the tone a bit strong. can I see the original?

5. To me its an okay shot. I've been doing this for twenty years and I have made plenty of okay and not so okay shots myself. I will assume you are looking for ideas to make your photography better. I always critique my own work for that reason. I recommend the following considerations.
    1. The color does not work for me and is perhaps too dark. A black and white version might work better.
    2. The light house is too close to the edge of the photograph.
    3. The modern boats are not a plus for a mood photo. There is part of a boat cut off on the left side of the image. This adds to the cluttered look of the boats in the photo. A single boat or two might be better.
    4. Wait for a fog to cover the harbor and accentuate the light house.
    5. The horizon is in the middle of the photo ( which is a natural thing to do for reflections ) . It's generally better to put the horizon high or low. In this case you might add more sky.

6. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback. If anybody is interested here is the original (resized):

[​IMG]

First I used PTlens to fix the distortion. Second step was levels, next step was Nik Color Efex Pro 2: Colorizer. I took out some saturation and as final step I used the shadow/highlight function. All done in PS CS2.

I agree totally the picture would have been much nicer without the boats. But they were there and I am not good enough with PS to get them out ;-) I will try some of your suggestions Muril and post my second result a little later.

Thanks again!

7. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi,

here is the promised new PP version. I added some fog on the lower part with Nik Color Efex Pro 2 and used an action for the B/W conversion from epaperpress.com

[​IMG]

8. amazing what one can do

9. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi Dave,

I did not travel far away for that picture. I was living in Charlotte, NC until September and went a couple of times to Hilton Head. The whole area including Charleston, SC and Savannah are just great. I really miss the area.

10. Wow, big difference. I like it. It's amazing what a skillful PS user can do. Great Job!