Lighting a reflective subject

I landed a small job, taking data sheet photos. The PC boards were easy, but the assemblies were a killer. Here's the beast I had to work with.

DSC2893-ed-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The body needed more light than the face, which had to be dark with white lettering. That called for 2 shots with different exposures, blended together in photoshop. This was my lighting setup.

reflective-1.jpg

But the dial was highly reflective, leading to results like this.

DSC2893-ed-rev3-XL.jpg

The client wanted the dial to be legible, and I found it impossible to light evenly with umbrellas, so I switched to indirect reflective lighting.

reflective-2.jpg

But even then, the uneven light on the outer ring was unacceptable.

DSC2893-ed-rev2-XL.jpg

I fiddled with the positions and intensity of the lights until I found the root problem... which wasn't the lights at all. It was the angle of the ring. It had to be exactly head on with the camera. After adjusting the up/down and side-to-side angles, I finally was able to get the flat lighting the shot required. I took the successful shot of the dial, and combined it with the shot of the assembly and the shot of the face. Some background simplification, and I came up with this.

DSC2748-ed-2-XL.jpg

It took me several hundred shots and the better part of a week to get the final result. I hope this story will keep you from going through such a painful process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done Frank, you might want to look into the book light science magic,its a great ref. for shoot things of this nature.

Latest threads

Top Bottom