Lighting Equipment question

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Catz, Mar 28, 2005.

1. I purchased two Bowen Esprits a few years ago but now I am contemplating on whether I should invest in a hairlight attached to a boom arm over the subjects hair and a backlight. The two lights I have need to be pretty close to the subjects in order to light the background. I know a couple of reflectors on each side would be less expensive and easier to work with but I'm not too good with reflectors and positioning there where they need to go. It just seems so much easier to meter the lights and go with it.

My question is would you suggest two 400 watt Alienbees for this? I don't think that I would need any higher wattage.

Thanks for any opinions on this.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hi Mellisa, First of all, if I understand what you said correctly, you don't want to light the bg with just spill from your main/fill lights. If you want to light the bg, you should use a separate light for that. Went to the Bowen's site, and they have about 10 different models, so not sure which ones you're using. I just started using an AB400 attached on a boom stand, and covered with their med softbox for a hairlight. Works great. You do need a heavy duty stand for this app. Don't want it to come craching down onto your subject! I always keep 1 of the stand's leg out in line with the boom for the best stability.

3. Hi Steve,

Thanks for helping me make a decision. I am enclosing the link to the lights I use. I. I purchased 2 of these 2 years ago for 850.00 each and now instead of the price going down on these, the price has gone up. They are very good lights though.

So you use a light for the hairlight, what do you use to light the background up with?

Thanks,

http://calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE=Co...amp;ac.cat.CatTree.detail=y&type=PRDINDEX

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I have 4 SB400's

So, what I usually do is light the bg with one, and the hairlight for another, then main & fill. To tell you the truth, I haven't always had the greatest luck with reflectors either. You do need a fairly powerful modeling light to be able to position the reflector correctly. If you use a hairlight, you really don't need to use a bg light. Normally, it's one or the other. btw, your link didn't work...says the session ran out.. What light modifiers are you using for your main & fill lights?

5. Re: I have 4 SB400's

Bowen Esprit 2 1000w/s Monolight (110V) are the two that I use. So as for a hairlight, do you think Steve, that a Alienbee 400 would be powered enough to use as a hairlight. I don't think I would need anything stronger. Do you?

Thanks for your help Steve :)

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Sb400 will be fine,

You don't need much power for a hairlight.
    I will ask you this again: what light modifiers are you using on your main/fill? They're not bare strobes, are they? ;)

7. Post is for Steve S

Hi Steve,

Please see on my post that has the link to the lights I have. I'm now checking at bhphoto for a link Here it is

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...mp;A=details&Q=&sku=220957&is=REG

I'm, not sure what you mean by modifiers? Are you talking about umbrellas, softboxes, modeling lights etc... Is this what you bean by modifiers? If not please explain here what you mean and I may know something else by another name.

I appreciate you time and advice because I am ready to place an order.

Thanks Steve. It's real late so forgive me for my typing.

I will send you an email so that it will save on the bandwidth and if others are curious, ww should go back the forum and make a post and how it was solved. Thank you Steve. we can save bandwidth. this way.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    By a modifier, yes, I meant softbox, etc

Ya, I was wondering what type of "device" you used in front of your strobes. Modifiers might've been the incorrect term. You can't beat a softbox.
    Also, don't worry about wasting bandwidth, that's what an open dicussion forum is for, isn't it? ;) Besides, a text message only using a couple kilobytes.