Lighting setup for....

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by P'Cola-Roy, Jun 15, 2007.

1. a portrait I took. The link for the picture is here. I was asked to share my lighting setup for it.

original.

I used broad lighting with the main in a softlighter umbrella (knockoff from amvona) with an Sb-800 fired at 1/8 power. I was probably 2.5 to 3 feet away from the subject. Looking at the catchlights it was a little too high.

The fill came from the reflector on the short side, about 2 feet away, angled so that it would bounce light from the main onto the subject.

The bg light was an AB-800 somewhere between 1/8 to 1/4 power with a shovel adapter.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Thank you for sharing that Roy. I know I always like to see how people setup their lighting when they nail perfect shots like you did. Amazing what a small setup like that can get you.

Well done Sir!

John

3. Another setup scenario?

Very nice job on that shot... the setup seems very good for head shots.

I have 2 Impact umbrellas for shoe mount flashes. I am using 2 SB-800s and am experimenting with different setups. I have tried using the flash with the wide adapter out and also with the dome diffuser.

So far, I don't feel that I have gotten optimal results with this. Do you know of a way to set this up?

Has anyone had any success with this type of setup? Do I need a reflector?

Do I need to get some sort of adapter for the head of the SB-800?

Thank you in advance for any help that can be provided.

4. You should be able to do just fine with the wide adapter down. I used two regular umbrellas before I got the Amvona brand softlighters.

A reflector for fill is much easier when just shooting headshots of one person though.

5. I shoot my SB-880s and SB-600 into my 30" umbrellas with the built-in wide-angle diffusor down, and the umbrella as far removed from the flash head as the mounting rod allows, with good results.

6. Nice picture, but what I really like is your set-up drawing. What software did you use for the drawing?

7. thanks Bob.

It is a photoshop diagram that someone on FM did. you can download it here

8. Thanks for the setup information!

9. Wow.........that's cool. Thanks.

I know I'll use it sometime in the future; however, I plan to lie and claim that I drew it all by myself using an Etch-a-sketch.:wink:

10. I like the picture and your setup, Roy, but (sorry), I'll bet that lad has skin that's as smooth as butter. Your lighting is so strong and directional that it highlights every pore hair on his face, and it make his skin look like sandpaper. That's fine for demonstrating the sharpness of your lens, but don't you think it mis-characterizes the subject?

original.

11. Thanks Frank

Yes Frank his skin is smoother than that. Some of the harshness is due to an underexosed subject in the original file, and then some is due to the pp I tried on the image. I am sure there is some due to lighting also. That is one of the things I am working on with this white BG and manual flash.

As for mischaracterizing the subject, I don't think so because it's still him. I didn't try to change his appearance, just tried a method of BW conversion and liked it.

12. There is so much plastic going around these days that it's awesome to see someone step up to the plate and provide a great image that's sharp, catches the charater of the subject.

It's really an awesome picture!

13. Nice image indeed!

As for the skin texture, i dosent really bother me.

Priceless exression aswell.

/Paul L.

14. Thanks a bunch.

15. Thanks Paul. The expression was because he had had just about enough of me and my camera.

16. What a great portrait Roy. This little guy looks fun and mischevious. I like sharp pictures and also feel that your B&W conversion is good.

17. Thanks Gordon. He is a barrel of laughs, but when he is done posing he will let you know:rolleyes:

18. Thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

Nice shot BTW...

19. No problem Jim, thanks.