Lighting that fits the wine

I rarely associate lighting, music or the like with a particular style of wine but I lit this scene in a way that, for me, depicts the wine. More than anything else, the wine is dramatic and hopefully the lighting is as well for most people.

My wife and I are going to celebrate her COVID-19 vaccination this Sunday, a J&J shot, with a special supper that evening if she feels well. She always likes me to surprise her with the menu so much that she literally prefers to learn about it only as I bring the food to the table. For this special occasion, she chose the menu of grilled venison in a raspberry sauce with a side of sweet potato wedges generously sprinkled with a chili seasoning. I'll also make earthquake cookies (also called chocolate crinkles) because they will also go well with the wine.

It has been at least 20 years since I have enjoyed this brand of Amarone and I fully expect it to be one of the very best.

Mike 2021-04-08--0004-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo of the Setup
The tabletop is a piece of wood and the background is a door mat made of a carpet tile. A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a red gel was high enough on the left that its reflection on the neck of the bottle was easy to eliminate during post-processing. A white reflector on the right added the red reflection to that side of the bottle. The flashlight on the tabletop perpendicular to the lens allowed just enough white light to leak out the side onto the label to overpower the red light on the label's white text without adding too much light to the background color on the label. The fabric is a red, silk pocket square. The only parts of the label that were red before using the red gel are the red triangle, the long phrase displayed in red text, and the winery's name, Allegrini. Fifteen focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at default settings.

Mike 2021-04-08--0005-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
The wine was really good but we didn't enjoy it as much as we had hoped. Though it was as rich and powerful as any Amarone, we disliked its really edgy characteristic probably brought on by its 15.5% alcohol. Though three pro critics rated the wine in a range of 91 to 94 points, we simply don't like that edgy style. The wine was a bit better for us than the Amarone enjoyed just three weeks earlier. However, that earlier Amarone costs only $25 and this one costs $67. The $25 wine is almost as good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom