Lightning? Nope Not this Time

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by PhotoByMark, Oct 10, 2005.

1. I stayed up really late as the storm approached hoping for my first chance to get some lightning pics since May. No such luck! No lightning with the storm - In fact the storm kind of just fizzled out. So I got bored just waiting and started taking some pics of rain and my outside light. I tried different settings and while not as "cool" as I hoped this one came out ok.

51348716_eb232a0031_o.

2. Pretty neat image Mark. Sometimes you have to turn lemons into lemonaide and you have done that well.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice image Mark,

I have one very pooooooor lightening shot. lolol Cause I just really don't know how to shoot them. Sure would like to though.

Here in Fla we have great lightening.

4. Thanks for the comments.

Gale I bet you have some great lighting out in Florida.

I live on hill and can get some great shots depending on which way the storm approaches. I have found the best lightning shots happen after the storm has passed and heading away. Well only sort of true, but when they are approaching you really risk lightning hitting close by you or on you. Hmmmm, on a big hill, nothing else around and big t-storm coming right at you. Yikes.

I know even after it passes there still is some risk but, it seems safer after it has gone by. I do have a nifty pocket lightning detector that tells me relative distance and whether lightning strikes are getting closer or further away. Kind of neat I guess.

I have yet to get one shot of lightning or even had a chance with my D70s. Still waiting.....