1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lightning Strike....

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Taco, Aug 13, 2009.

1. We had a wicked thunder storm last night and I was trying to capture some lightning. I caught a large discharge and a few minutes later noticed a red glow down my road. I raced down and a neighbors garage was engulfed in flames. Nobody responded to knocking on the door and the family finally awoke when the fire trucks showed up. No injuries and it could have been a lot worse...

Cheers

Ted:smile:

618683206_pkZrP-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

618647149_UqSpB-XL.jpg

618673652_eUtqz-XL.jpg

618642770_no8sN-XL.jpg

618654465_FPwKX-XL.jpg

618659913_KxMCi-XL.jpg

618666844_DrjYs-XL.jpg

2. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Nice pictures! Looks like you were in the right spot, and your neighbors were in the wrong one.

Glad no one was hurt!

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Nice photos but sorry it happened.....

4. Outstanding series of shots!

5. Those are some great shots for sure. Could you share the EXIF on a couple?

6. Amazing images. The title led me to expect a lot of lightning shots. This is far more astonishing. What lens did you use on that (in other words, how close were you to the heat?)

7. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Outstanding captures!

8. Thanks Guys! These shots were with a 70-300 VR lens on a D700. ISO was @800 and f4 to 5.6. SS was 1/8th sec. The lightning was shot with a 50/1.8 on a D700. Exposure times were about 30 seconds. The closest I got to the fire would be around 20 ft.

Cheers

9. Mercuri

Mercuri

Mar 6, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    the burning house looks like a fire exercise, not due to the lightning strike. Am I right?

10. cadetrv

cadetrv

Mar 30, 2009
    Southern NH
    AMAZING pics! Sorry to see this happen to anyone, but these pics are great. Love the lightening pic.

11. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Now THAT's a lightning strike!!

Sorry to see the aftermath....

12. Outstanding pictures!!

13. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Amazing coverage Ted! Glad no one was hurt!

14. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    Amazing shots both of the lightning and the fire.

15. WOW. truly amazing shots! bad experience for them, great oppurtunity for you! im just amazed by these shots!

16. AtlPikMan

AtlPikMan

Sep 21, 2008
    Atlanta Ga
    Nice Series..#4 Is Amazing!

17. That's an incredible experience/tale/story that you've expertly managed to capture! :smile:

18. lightning a little close for my liking LOL

#4 is freaking hang on the wall photo with #1 :eek: :eek: 

19. Did you not read the thread?

Those are some awesome shots of the burning garage. The dynamic range and exposure are dang near flawless.

20. Thanks so much for the kind words guys! I got lucky with this one...Right time...right place. These images were submitted to the Winnipeg Free Press and they posted them on their online breaking news. Within ten minuites these images went viral and every media in town called me. I was a local celebrity...at least for one day....LOL...

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.