Lightning Strike

I have absolutely no experience in capturing Lighting strikes, but thought I would post this one that I captured yesterday evening around 7 PM during a rather severe storm that passed through. This photo was captured after the worst of the storm had passed. When the worst of the storm was occurring I could not see the little sugar house building in my front yard standing on my front porch which is approximately 50' away.

This storm is one of the worst that I have ever witnessed. I had just left work, and about a mile and a half in to my trip home I got caught in a hail storm that was dumping 1/2" to 3/4" sized hail. We had Tornado watches in effect for most of the evening which is not typical for Vermont. Some areas reported baseball sized hail and straight line winds in excess of 70 mph. Trees are down all over, Power was knocked out for some 12,000 people, and some are still without power over 24 hours after the storm, and we just got nailed again tonight with more severe storms. On top of all of the severe flooding that we have had the past several weeks, one river near our state capitol of Montpelier rose so quickly that half the city had to be evacuated due to severe flooding. In all my 35 years of living have I seen it this bad.

Anyways here is the photo. Comments welcome. (Correction, this image was actually taken tonight during the second round of the severe weather that we have been getting.)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Very good capture indeed. It seems that the USA gets all the bad weather from the whole world this year. Over here we have the driest spring since 1975 or so and it really starts to hurt in some places.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom