Lightning strikes

Real Name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
By the way, if light entering the camera is a concern, the viewfinder should be covered throughout the process.
As I was using the D700, closing the viewfinder is nice and easy. So Yes it was closed. I did think about using the 'bulb' setting as I do use a remote, but felt that I may be tempted to leave it open too long waiting for a strike. At least using the 20-30 sec exposure the sensor has time to cool down between shots.

As I was using the D700, closing the viewfinder is nice and easy. So Yes it was closed. I did think about using the 'bulb' setting as I do use a remote, but felt that I may be tempted to leave it open too long waiting for a strike. At least using the 20-30 sec exposure the sensor has time to cool down between shots.
I'd have been tempted to do exactly that too, perhaps to get more than one strike. I like them all Barry, with No. 5 my favourite because you appear to have caught some electrically-charged "crepuscular" rays.

They are lovely shots Barry. And very well exposed given that you're just using a long exposure.

It's a pity that Nikon cameras don't have the equivalent of Olympus's "Live Composite" mode. I took this a few nights ago with the E-M1ii using it. What Live Composite does is to take repeated exposures (anything from 0.5" to longer) and then save them using an "additive" algorithm to a single file (raw or JPEG). This means you can set your exposure to match the ambient but if anything bright comes along (like lightening), it gets added to the shot. You can leave it running for as long as you like without worrying about the general scene getting overexposed or your memory card filling up. What's more, you get a constant view on the rear screen of what's going on so you can terminate the sequence once you're happy.

View attachment 1667544
Evening Storm by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

It's great too for:

- Fireworks
- Light painting
- Star trails
- Car tail/head light trails
- etc

Maybe I should write an enhancement suggestion to Nikon. Do they ever listen to these things?
However you did it - I like it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom