1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lightning

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Montec, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    Took this one from my back yard this evening, used Tungsten white balance for a cooler look.

[​IMG]

2. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Lightning makes such cool pictures, but how do you do it? Seems I would be sitting for hours and then not be ready. What technique do you use?

3. hellogan

hellogan

Nov 26, 2007
    Chicago
    i have tried and tried to capture lightning but have had very little success. here is what i've managed:

2574947744_824803c3ef_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    I had my camera on a tripod, f/29 and 5 seconds. I wanted the tree in the bottom of the frame so I composed the shot and as the storm was passing I just clicked off about 60 shots in a row with a remote. Kind of the same system I use for fireworks, but I use f/8 or f/11 for that.

This particular strike was absolutely spectacular and I only captured about 25% of it...it would have been a beauty.

5. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks. I'll give that a try on the next storm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.