Lightning!

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by cwilt, May 6, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Wasn't sure where to put this. We had our first lightning storm here and I got so excited that I forgot to open the glass door. :lol:

[​IMG]

2. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Woah.

3. AWESOME!!! I can't wait for the next heat lightening storm in my area!!! Thanks for sharing your capture!!! :D :D :D

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Here is one I captured last summer.

[​IMG]

And a crop from it. :shock:

[​IMG]

5. great lightening shots! So what's your technique?? Would love to hear the details--although unfortunately living in NYC, and not that high up, I don't get to see much of that outside my window, too many buildings and trees in the way. But maybe someday I'll be in the right place at the right time!

6. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Those are some great pictures. I would never be able to capture these, you would find me hiding under the bed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Janet,

There really isn't much technique to this. A tripod, remote release, 5 second exposure, and a lot of luck. After a while you can almost time the strikes so you don't have many empty frames.

Todd,
    Both of these were taken indoors through windows or doors. When it gets this close, I would not want to be outside. Oddly enough, about a half hour after the house was hit and ambulance could be heard in that vicinity. I should go over with a print for them but haven't got the guts yet.

8. WHOA!! That is AWESOME, Charles!! :D :D :D :D

9. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Love it. Weather is great to be in as far as I'm concerned. Makes you feel Mother (nature) is still in charge. Please show us some more.

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Here is some more from the same storm. Enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Exactly! I noticed he was too excited to open the front door. Um....actually kind of wise to me.

Rich

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Rich,

I get excited when I see a storm brewing. Photographing lightning is my favorite. Is that wierd? :?