Lightroom 2.0 64-bit information

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by dan1son, Jul 31, 2008.

1. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Just letting everyone know that the Lightroom 2.0 release doesn't launch in 64-bit mode by default. I just noticed this on the Lightroom forums on Adobe's site. Any newer Mac running the Core 2 Duo or better processors are 64-bit and will gain a pretty large difference in performance in Lightroom 2.0 following these steps.

This includes the last few generations of Macbooks, Macbook Pros, iMac, and Mac Pros.

Go to applications. Right click on the Lightroom 2.0 package. Go to "Get Info" and then uncheck "Open in 32 Bit Mode".

Why Adobe was unable to check if the processor is 64-bit and launch in that mode is beyond me.

2. Phil Lee

Phil Lee

Jan 17, 2007
    Sale, UK
    That's not quite the correct way to do it. You have to install Lightroom 2 then use Get Info on Lightroom in the Applications folder. from the readme:

3. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    That's what I thought I said. The Lightroom 2.0 package in applications. Maybe the wordage is wrong, but all applications on macs are package files containing a lot of other files inside of them. I guess they're called ".app" though.

4. Bubble

Bubble

Nov 3, 2007
    Anaheim, CA
    i don't have to do anything with Vista 64. It sees the 64bit right away. No need to change anything. :)

5. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Yep, and you don't have to do this with any other 64-bit mac app either.

6. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    What other 64-bit Mac apps have you seen?

7. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    There are a few built-in, but not many (chess is). I'm a java developer so my java jdk is 64-bit as well. However, now that I do some research not much is running in a 64-bit mode on my Mac, and everything does have that "Run in 32-bit mode" check box, although the others are unchecked by default. I'm still not quite sure why the software can't decide which mode to run in, the apps are capable of having "universal binaries" which include both x86 and PowerPC binaries, why not x86_64 as well. Seems like it might be a pretty interesting limitation of 10.5.

Supposedly 10.6 is supposed to be 64-bit only. I guess 32-bit apps will be running in an emulation mode. Not uncommon... some stuff on my Linux workstations run like that as well. Even XP 64 and Vista 64 will run 32 bit apps in an emulation mode.

8. Dan
    You were correct.

9. Phil Lee

Phil Lee

Jan 17, 2007
    Sale, UK
    Sorry I'm realtively new to Macs. I took the package to be the dmg file that gets downloaded.