1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lightroom 2.0 a lot slower than 1.x? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by sir oliver, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I am running LR 2.0 on a Macbook Pro and Mac Pro desktop. No speed problems here or difference from 1.4.

2. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Definitely noticed considerable performance differences on my 2.2ghz dual core macbook with 2gigs of RAM. Even the old sliders seem slower than they used to be and if you use any of the new sliders or spot edits it's even worse. The biggest difference I've noticed is how bad it seems to handle RAM compared to the older version. I constantly get it in a state where every couple of image changes and the spinner comes up while it thrashes and clears out some RAM. Been debating upgrading to 4gigs just for that.

I wouldn't say it's so slow it's useless... it's still faster than NX2 or Aperture. And with Lightroom 2.0 (At least on a Mac) you can turn on 64-bit (it's off by default) which definitely helped with some speed issues. Got it just about as fast as 1.4, except it still has the RAM issues.

3. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Faster on my machines...

I run it on OS X as well as XP Pro and Vista, and they all run better (faster).

If you are using it on an Intel-based Mac, make sure you are in 64-bit mode. Works great.

PS - I LOVE the dual screen support...

4. Nope, as for me it runs faster... on my Quadcore with Vista 64 and 8GB RAM...

5. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    For some odd reason I lost my previews in the upgrade. Not a big deal to me but it made it seem much slower as it had create new previews as I sifted through photos. I just dumped a wedding into it Monday night and rendered 1:1 on import and it's back to normal when I view those files.

However, it likes to sit and pause if I work really quickly making adjustments and moving from pic to pic.

Lightroom 2.1 coming soon to an Adobe download server near you. :) 

6. Before making up your mind to go to Lightroom 2 everyone should have a look at some of the threads at:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc2cf0a/?@66.iOyRiq7rTwM@

you might need to log in.

I suggest
    "LR2 is SLOW" 111 messages
    "lightroom 2 on pc is slow on you pc?" 18 messages
    as a starting point.
    LR2 seems to be particularly bug ridden and it doesn't matter what spec machine you have, whether or not you have problems is a lottery. Some sail through with low spec machines and others with Mac monsters have loads of trouble. I wish I had waited for 2.1 as only part of the program works as expected.

7. Jdub

Jdub Guest

Slow for me as well, I had a horrendous time just "upgrading" my catalogs.

8. The retouching tools are very S.L.O.W!!!

They Really need to update this badly!

Wasn't this in beta for sevral months?

it doesn't seem like it.

9. 2.0 seems a little slower on my dual core vista laptop and no slower on my quad core desktop.

The new retouch features are definitely too slow to use for much on my laptop.

I don't worry about it much. The new camera raw with the beta color controls is a very nice feature. Overall it is a mild upgrade to an already good product.

I really like lightroom for managing, sorting and viewing photos. If I need to do any retouching and editing I use Nx2 for .NEF's or Photoshop CS3 for .jpg's

10. I have to agree.....at home i have a quad core with 2 gigs of ram...way slower than 1.4, at work i use a Pentium 4 3 gig with 1 gig of ram and it's almost unusable....shame on you adobe......

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I did not notice a speed increase on my mac pro by switching to 64-bit. Only change was more bugs in the printing.

12. MMMM, I don't see any speed issues at all except maybe a slight increase.
    Charles, what is it you sen in printing??

13. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I haven't seen any speed degradation on my T7500 (Santa Rosa), 4GB machine running Vista Ultimate at 32 bits. I love the update!!

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Issues with the HP drivers for my designjet 130.

15. Thank you guys.

Let's keep following this issue, especially if it happens that Adobe does something to make LR 2.0 faster than it is at the moment (if it happens at all).

16. Really slow for me.

I'm back to 1.4.1 - not worth the pain for D700 support.

17. fjmcsu

fjmcsu Guest

very fast & extremely quick transfer of catalogue from v1.4.Mac Quad,PowerPC,16GB RAM

18. Is this an LR issue or OS??

19. There is always work going on to improve speed. I don't have issues but there are some grumbles about this. It takes a lot of work and hence time to go through the possibilities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.