Lightroom 2 Folder and Photo Organization (Questions about it)

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by wgilles, Sep 23, 2008.

1. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Hi everyone,
    I am a new LR2 user, switching from Aperture. If anyone understands Aperture 2 and how it stores photos this will help out answering my question a lot.

In Aperture 2 it puts all of your photos into a library which can't really be accessed easily, but it stores everything in ONE place which I really liked.

I have been importing photos in LR2 thinking it did something similar but I found it just stores them in my Pictures folder and each folder has...well...a separate folder. My question is...is there a way to make LR2's folder organization behave like Aperture's and store everything in one place?

2. Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
  3. timross

timross

Aug 16, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    LR has what is called "Collections". I plug my camera into my PC, then create a new "Collection" folder, and import my pictures into it. I add my metadata, edit, then export to a folder on my PC. That is my workflow, but I think everyone does it differently.

4. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I'd suggest having a main pictures folder (Like your Aperture file) and within it can be your arrangment (e.g., dates, events, whatever). But all you have to do when you need to backup is copy that main folder or if you want to move your photos, just move that main folder. The advantage of this, is you can keep this structure when you move to a different program. I was a huge fan of a managed library (iPhoto, Aperture), until I had to move it to Lightroom, now it is not a big deal. Bottom line for me is (software managing your stuff is bad). I want to be able to move and re-structure at will.

5. Good points Kurt, I couldn't get the hang of iPhoto managing my files, creating copies, etc........
    Much easier when they are where I put them and generally I move them in LR so as to let LR keep in touch with folder locations.

6. I never keep all my files in one location, and most importantly not on the internal drive that has the OS on it.

I have lightroom to add the files to the DB without copying or moving them from their "original" location (various external drives)

7. That is a typical method Paul, however what do you do when you import from a card??

8. Photomechanic, i use LR 2 only for cataloging and browsing, well i actually used the web module to do a slideshow (along with a plugin), wich was neat.

But for working with files i use CS3 soley, as i have all my actions and commands on the tip of my finger (Intous 3) so much faster and more precise for me.

9. Good for you Paul.
    I was an early user of Photoshop (version 2) and now hardly ever use it. Most work is done in LR now and as you know it keeps track of my files and that I do appreciate.
    If you want any tips on LR just PM and I can put you in touch with a Swedish expert.

10. Thanx Geoff, much appreciated.

The swedish expert isnt named Mattias by any chance ?

11. Ah no he is more into to PS, so he should probebly not be referd to as a expert on LR.

12. Maybe the one i know uses an alias !!??:biggrin::biggrin::eek: :eek: :cool: 

13. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Thanks for all the help, it really helped!

14. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Aperture will let you decide to store your files either in a library or any folder structure you want. My understanding of Lightroom is that it works the same.

Besides, you don't really need a hierarchical structure with either product. If you want to manage your images by reference, just dump them all in the same folder and tag them appropriately. You could then use EITHER program to query for the images you want.

15. Bill, LR only manages files by reference these days.

16. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Interesting. I guess there are pros and cons to each method. In Aperture, managing files in the library also allows you to use its Vault system for convenient backup, but using referenced files allows you to access the images without going through Aperture.

In my preference, I like for my central management tool to know about all access to the image so it doesn't end up with some confusion, corruption, etc. Then again, that limits you to using Aperture's RAW manager instead of NX2, ACR, or whatever else.

17. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Just to clarify (in case it was read this way) when I said I keep all the images within a single folder, I don't mean that I don't have them in multiple places. I firmly advocate redundant backup plans, including off site storage. I just mean that if you keep all images under one umbrella folder it makes backing up or moving it easier since I can grab that folder (containing whatever structure you want within it) and move, copy, backup, etc. I know some people have picture folders for each of their clients in some client folders, etc. I prefer to keep text files and pictures separate. I want to be able to grab a hard drive and know that they are all pictures. So here is my structure (I'm sure it is not the best method, but it works for me).

I have a single pictures folder
    Within that I have the years
    Within that I have my business folder and personal folder

If I got done shooting a weekend of my kids, I put it in pictures/2008/family/whatever (usually the default date folder from the camera)

If I did a client shoot, I put it in pictures/2008/kemlingimages/client name or event

I have the advantage of only having to watch one picture folder, I can still keyword within a program like LR, but if I ever need to do something with without my program I can still find things. Keywording is great, provided you have access to the program. Not always the case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.