Lightroom 5 - Worth it?

I've been using Photoshop CS4 and PSE 11 for the Mac.

Because I bought my D7100, B&H is offering me Lightroom 5 for $99. I am considering it as I am having a problem with RAW files due to the age of CS4 and I can't download the upgrade for PSE 11 as I'd need to upgrade my OS X, which I can't do with this computer.

I'm thinking about getting the LR so that when I get my new computer in January I'd be able to use it. Just wondering if it's worth it, or should I stick to Photoshop?

Carole

For $99, you couldn't go wrong with LR5. Once you get use to how it works, it really does get the job done.
There are heaps of tutorials on "You Tube", plus on various sites including Adobe if I remember.
Plus there's heaps of presets & plugins that work with LR5...

But then again, maybe you shouldn't listen to me as I'm a bit of a software Junky... :rolleyes:
And I really like NX2, so what does that tell you... LOL... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Seems to me that if you want to use raw and as you cannot update ACR in CS4 to handle your D7100 files your files you have a few options.
In order of my preference:

Take the plunge and buy LR to perform non destructive edits to your raw images and then if required edit/refine a copy (Tiff) in CS4.

Convert a copy of Nef to Adobe DNG format which can then be read and used in ACR in CS4.

Use View NX or Capture NX2

In a word, Yes. I'm "perhaps" a bit nuttzy, as my board name implies, but depending on the situation, I use LR, CS6, Phase One Capture Pro 7 or (rarely) Aperture.

LR is my general go-to, though, as it has evolved into a very efficient software.

I use LR almost exclusively now, with occasional forays into CS6 on those few occasions that LR can't do the job (like placing a text layer on an image). Just understand that it has a bit of a learning curve if you are new to it and you have to be willing to take a little time to learn it. If you do, I think you'll enjoy it.

I'm a windows guy, so make sure it is compatible with your flavor/version of apple OS before you buy. Also, I think Scott Kelby's book is a great way to get up and running quickly when you start learning LR.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I say yes, with the understanding that you will adapt to it much quicker if you take the time to watch some of the excellent tutorials that are available on the internet.

The raw processor in LR (called the Develop module) is the same as used in PS CS6 .....until the Could appeared. :((( BUT - LR is not part of the Cloud and it is assumed that it will be updated periodically.

LR is also a very good data management/cataloguing tool.... In PS you can only search within folders. With LR, you can search across all the images you have imported into LR, regardless of where they actually exisit .

PS is still the best for complex pixel editing, using layers.

Both have a place and best use.

I've been trying to use LR exclusively now unless I want to go crazy and use PS for the things I can't do well in LR, like Content Aware fill and such.
I've tried most of the RAW converters out there, even almost jumped into RawTherapee.
Eventually, the workflow I have developed in LR still kept me in LR.
Once you find what works for you, there shouldn't be any question as to which direction you should take.
If it's easy enough and satisfying then that's the way you should go.

Also you can get OnOne Perfect Effect 4 free for free and add lots of free stuff that works very well with LightRoom. If you like Photoshop you might want to upgrade to CS6 now before you can't. If you don't do lots of special stuff - content aware, vanishing point, ect. - LR5 is pretty amazing.

I am also exclusive in LR4.. CS6 for few things but Content Aware is amazing and use it as it is amazing. LR4 the Gradient filter is just amazing to use..

I've been using Photoshop CS4 and PSE 11 for the Mac.

Because I bought my D7100, B&H is offering me Lightroom 5 for $99. I am considering it as I am having a problem with RAW files due to the age of CS4 and I can't download the upgrade for PSE 11 as I'd need to upgrade my OS X, which I can't do with this computer.

I'm thinking about getting the LR so that when I get my new computer in January I'd be able to use it. Just wondering if it's worth it, or should I stick to Photoshop?

Carole

Of course. What is the alternative? The facts are, you have the D7100 and it would be good to have software to use it. And $99 is relatively a low price today. Plus users apparently love Lightroom.

For my new camera, I went with CS6 instead of Lightroom, but sure is good to have something that works with the camera.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't upgrade to PS6 until I get a new computer. I'm out of hard drive space and I've moved everything I can think of to external drives.

For now I'm using View NX2 that came with the camera to transfer the images. Once I convert them to jpg I can import them into Photoshop or PSE. I am going to try converting the NEF files to Adobe DNG and see how that works out.

Thanks everyone!
Carole

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I can't upgrade to PS6 until I get a new computer. I'm out of hard drive space and I've moved everything I can think of to external drives.

For now I'm using View NX2 that came with the camera to transfer the images. Once I convert them to jpg I can import them into Photoshop or PSE. I am going to try converting the NEF files to Adobe DNG and see how that works out.

Thanks everyone!
Carole
Don't forget you can use ViewNX2 to convert to TIFs, rather than JPGs, if you want optimum quality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, thanks, Richard. I just started using ViewNX2, and in my haste to see my photos, I didn't really look around to see what it could do :) I'll have to spend a bit more time with it and see what's there. TIFs are good :)

Carole

Carole,
Even though I am aggravated at Adobe, I really like Lightroom and it does 98% of what I need and I rarely use Photoshop. Once you get comfortable with the catalogue, you will like the non-destructive editing. Download the trial and see.
Pete

Carole
Yes, Its worth it!
You can always download the free version and play with it a while but Lr is great to edit and catalog your images.

Steve

Carole I use LR 5 for most all my editing. I only shoot raw. I did upgrade to CS6 but don't use it much. LR5 has some nice features over LR4 such as the new clone tool. For the price you can't beat it. I would highly recommend it over CS4 as you have what you need for your new D7100. You can easily edit in CS4 directly from LR when you need to. Like others have said there are tons of good free tutorials for LR and it is not part of the cloud.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom