LightRoom 6.13 update

According to Laura Shoes's site it will, for the most part. This is the way to roll back versions if you have done significant work in LR Classic and then want to include those changes in LR 6.13. However you will lose anything done with the new tools that LR 6.13 doesn't have.

When I installed LR 7 (Classic CC) it created a new catalog which is read by that version when it starts. When LR 6.13 starts, it reads the old catalog which doesn't contain any of the edits made in LR7, whether made with new tools or not. They are two completely separate sets of data.

After going to bed last night I had the thought that perhaps I could open the LR7 catalog in LR6.13 and thus view the edits. I tried it this morning but that won't work either. 6.13 says it can't open the LR7 catalog "...because that catalog is too new to be opened by this version of Lightroom".

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Perhaps you are running into the issue of the newest LR using a totally new Process Version that I posteda thread about HERE.....????

Jim, do you have your LR Classic preference set to save all information to xmp files?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Probably.

I didn't, but I do now.
I always save edits to the xmp file. Pics, collections, etc won't be saved, but keywords, ratings, and most edits will be. There should be a way to select images and have LR save those edits to xmp files "after the fact".

Now try editing an image and then view it in LR6.......

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Also, the edit History (step by step) is not saved to the xmp file, since History is gone once the file is closed.

Now, every time I try to close LR Classic CC I get the following popup:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 10.37.26 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've only edited about two dozen images in LR Classic, why should it take so long?

So your catalog only has 2 dozen files?

That's all that I have imported with LR7, but I now recall that it copied and updated the old catalog so maybe that is what it's exporting XMP data for.

Since I don't plan to use LR Classic any more I see no reason to let it continue exporting so I'm going to stop it.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
No problem. Also, delete that catalog or the next time you open the catalog it will continue updating your xmp files.

HOWEVER, make sure that the catalog you are going to use has the preference set to write data to xmp files and let it update.

Jim:
Before you abandon Classic, see if this helps:
In Library:
Navigate to the original Folder on your Hard Drive where those images are stored (NOT the Collection Folder) and, from the Library menu, choose Synchronise Folder.

You can also "Save Metadata to File" but, as far as I can see, that only affects the currently selected Photo so it only does one frame at a time.

If you do this your revised edits get saved back to the xmp with the original parent NEf. That means that both ACR and Lr can reach back to use the same information in the metadata.

The fact that there is a new Process 4 shouldn't make any difference because, if you re-open the file in an older version of the program, the image will just revert to adopting Process 3. The reason for introducing Version 4 was to support Range Masking and new features which may be developed in the future.

Auto-toning algorithms (if you use them) have changed too but work on all images regardless of the Process Version.

Range Masking brings far more precise editing to the Adjustment Brushes than we ever had previously.
I use them on almost every image which I process because it cuts down on the amount of masking which I will need to do in Photoshop.

Guided geometry is another addition.
(I believe that CS6 got neither that one nor the Dehaze filter?)
Pull two guides, one at each edge, and Lr/ACR will adjust verticals and horizontals to straighten selectively to the Guides.

People who are complaining about "Slow-down over time" have a different problem.
Software doesn't "go sour" like old milk!
Any perceived slow-down is inevitably caused either by Network issues or by hardware problems — especially with over-filled, non-maintained and fragmented Hard Drives.

Jim:
Before you abandon Classic, see if this helps:
In Library:
Navigate to the original Folder on your Hard Drive where those images are stored (NOT the Collection Folder) and, from the Library menu, choose Synchronise Folder.

You can also "Save Metadata to File" but, as far as I can see, that only affects the currently selected Photo so it only does one frame at a time.

If you do this your revised edits get saved back to the xmp with the original parent NEf. That means that both ACR and Lr can reach back to use the same information in the metadata.

I tried this but it made no difference. None of the edits made in LR Classic are visible in LR6.13.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I tried this but it made no difference. None of the edits made in LR Classic are visible in LR6.13.
Really sounds like the changing of the Process version is causing this. The process version changes very rarely......at least in the past.

People who are complaining about "Slow-down over time" have a different problem.
Software doesn't "go sour" like old milk!
Any perceived slow-down is inevitably caused either by Network issues or by hardware problems — especially with over-filled, non-maintained and fragmented Hard Drives.
Well, software can easily give the impression of slowing down over time depending on the particular application and it has nothing to do with Network or fragmented hard drives (it can happen with SSD!)

Lightroom constantly writes changes to the catalogue file and due to theses changes the catalogue DB can grow somewhat unwieldly with a resulting slow down in performance. Optimising the catalogue tells LR to look at the catalogue structure to make sure it is efficient.
Good practice to occassionally use the Test Integrity before backup and Optimize after backup.

Default Camera Raw cache set at 1 GB may not be enough and increasing can speed up the generation of previews. Reports suggest setting Camera Raw cache at 20 GB or more may speed performance in the Develop mode.

I would include failure to regularly Optimise the Catalogue, and set a large enough space for Cache, under the heading of "Bad Maintenance"!
That said, Lr (because of its Catalogue) is a massive HD Space Hog.

LR should not be a massive HDD space hog.

It is only an SQLite database after all. However if you are in the habit of doing a lot of retouching brush stroke, use plugins and loads of redundant editing then all these stored in the DB. History states probably account for more than 90% of the DB size

If your catalogue is hogging drive then there are ways to reduce the size including clearing Develop history and consider removing some of the old backups

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom