Lightroom and CS3

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by the_traveler, Apr 20, 2007.

1. I like Lightroom for the databasing and general corrections features but I hunger for CS3 because of the smart filters features.

I have heard the the ACR is very good in CS3 but I would be losing the use of it unless I made a distorted workflow by opening things in CS3 and then later importing them into lightroom,

Any comments on the use of these two programs together?

Thanks in advance,

Lew

2. The ACR is the same in both I thought :smile:

3. If you are going to be editing the majority of your photos in CS3 (smart filters, sharpening, noise reduction...) then there is little value in getting Lr as well. If you require a DAM, then consider Lr, although it is pretty basic in this regard at this time.

4. I agree with Rory. I've used Lightroom for a few months now, and have decided to abandon it (for now). I keep jumping to CS3 because it just has so many more capabilities than Lightroom. If you need DAM capabilities there are a lot of good products out there that you could use in combination with CS3. Personally, I find IDImager to my liking but there are other choices as well.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I'll have to disagree with Rory and Steve on this one.

A few features I am going to be making use of in LR are going to save me GBs of disk space.

They are, virtual copies and collections.

Virtual copies are great and are not limited to raw or jpegs. In the past I would have one photoshop file with either multiple groups of layers for B&W, Sepia, color, ... Or I'd have multiple files. With virtual copies I can have one file and have the effects for B&W, sepia, over saturation, etc. applied to the copy. I can even print or create a jpeg from the copy.

A big thing for collections was pointed out to me by one of the instructors at Photoshop world. She off loads cards into 4.2gb directories for easy DVD backups then just links the files into the collections. I know I have multiple copies of many files because I want to have it in it's original place (say Jane and John's Wedding) and also want a copy in web wedding gallery one, and another in wedding print portfolio, ......

With collections you only need to have one copy. Now I know you can do this with Keywords but I like the collection idea better.

6. I am glad Lr is working for you. This does not work for me because I end up editing most files outside of Lr for the following:

• Sharpening
    • Noise reduction
    • Localized editing
    • Making frames
    • HDR

As soon as you have to leave the confines of Lr to make edits the whole metadata versioning paradigm in Lr collapses. If and when Lr fixes this problem, allowing easy tracking of physical file versions, then the Lr library will be more useful to me.