Lightroom, auto features for RAW getting on my nerves

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by hahnphoto, Jun 6, 2007.

1. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    I've been using lightroom since it was BETA and love it, but just recently went 100% RAW for all my images (used to be jpeg). But now I'm just starting to see that lightroom automates the editing on the raw images that come in! I have not set it up to do this- it is a brand new, fresh copy of lightroom straight out of the box that I've been using "as is" with no customization. I thought it was a bit strange that EVERY image would have +5 on its blacks, +25 contrast, +50 brightness, -4 tint, etc. It really didn't bother me because most of them looked pretty good. But today it made the images I imported look WORSE than what they imported in as! Even if I clicked "reset" it would reset with the "standard" edits it gave every image. Is there any way to turn this off, or at least turn it off for certain images?

2. Heather - I believe Lightroom has a default develop setting preset that get applied to every image on import. This default does not seem to be user changeable. My solution was to create my own "default" develop setting preset and specify it in the import dialogue. You can also specify the Zero'd Preset which puts all develop settings at zero values. Instead of Reset, just apply the Zero'd Preset to any of the images you have already imported.

Edited to add:

Since my jpegs incorporate my camera settings the develop preset I use on import that works well on jpegs does not work well on Nefs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  3. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    Thanks Luke, I'll give it a try!

4. I think you will find it can be changed to suit you. Look HERE for some great info