Lightroom cs3 and cs4 compatibility issues?

Hmmm.. so this is tricky...

My second shooter edited some photos in lightroom cs3 on a mac. We transferred the raw photos from her mac, to an external hd (using parallax), then to my computer.

I opened the raw files in lightroom cs4 on a pc, and her edits are not showing up. Any idea why they aren't? And how we can get them to show?

Thanks!

Your second shooters edits are stored in her catalog and not attached to the raw files. Try to have her export them as a catalog and then import them to your LR catalog. If someone else has a better idea, I would sure like to hear it because this is the one pet peeve I have with LR.
Pete

You may have your versions of Lightroom confused. What is Lightroom CS3?
Yes. Please let us know the versions of Lightroom you are using.

Your second shooters edits are stored in her catalog and not attached to the raw files. Try to have her export them as a catalog and then import them to your LR catalog. If someone else has a better idea, I would sure like to hear it because this is the one pet peeve I have with LR.
Pete
This suggestion should work. Export as a catalog and then import the catalog. The edits will come along. The only potential fly in the ointment is the versions of LR. The editing "engine" changed. Lightroom 3 used PV2010 (PV stands for "Process Version"). Lightroom 4 (and 5) use PV2012. This may necessitate conversion between the process versions.

CS stands for Creative Suite, the programs in that suite are:
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Adobe Audition, SpeedGrade, Flash, Prelude, Bridge and Fireworks.
They are different Suites which include some or all of the Programs depending on your needs and budget. They latest version is CS6 and is Cloud based known as the Creative Cloud (CC) If you subscribe to Creative Suite 6 (CS6) via the Cloud (CC), it would now include Lightroom 5. CS6 is the first version to be cloud based it's being billed monthly or yearly. You can no longer buy the discs like you could in CS5 and earlier versions

Lightroom went through version 1, 2, 3, 4, with Lightroom 5 being the newest version.

Like others have said, Lightroom in non-destructive. What that means is that LR does not change the original file. In your case the original is the NEF. It could also be a jpeg, tiff or other photo file. LR will not change the original file, making it nondestructive.

LR saves the changes in a sidecar file. These sidecars hold only the edits made in LR. The sidecar does not include the photo image. These sidecar files are saved in the Catalog.

The problem with moving them to a different computer is that the original photo and the Catalog must both be moved or copied. This usually confuses LR because it does not know where to find the original and you'll have to help it find them. It's possible but a pain.
It's one thing that LR users have always complained about but knowing it's non-destructive, is worth the inconvenience.

Like others have said, Lightroom in non-destructive. What that means is that LR does not change the original file. In your case the original is the NEF. It could also be a jpeg, tiff or other photo file. LR will not change the original file, making it nondestructive.

LR saves the changes in a sidecar file. These sidecars hold only the edits made in LR. The sidecar does not include the photo image. These sidecar files are saved in the Catalog.

The problem with moving them to a different computer is that the original photo and the Catalog must both be moved or copied. This usually confuses LR because it does not know where to find the original and you'll have to help it find them. It's possible but a pain.
It's one thing that LR users have always complained about but knowing it's non-destructive, is worth the inconvenience.
One correction. Lightroom does not save the edits in sidecar files, at least not by default. The edits are kept in the database. You can choose to save sidecar files with the images. If you have not specifically chosen to save sidecar files (an option in Lightroom preference), then when you do a "Save as catalog..." the images and the database files that comprise the catalog are saved. This can then be imported into a different instance of Lightroom and the images will appear with the pre-existing edits intact.

The sidecar files are only useful when opening the images in a program other than Lightroom. To my knowledge, the only programs that understand the edits saved in the sidecar files (the actual edit steps NOT the format of the sidecar file which is a published standard by Adobe) in Lightroom are Lightroom and Photoshop. Some of the other Adobe applications may understand the edits. I just don't know about them. But to the best of my knowledge, no non Adobe applications can made use of the edit "instructions" that would be saved in a sidecar file.

And, while it is true that if you simply copy a LR catalog and the image files to another computer, LR will likely be confused about the location of the images, if you do a "Save as catalog" and then import the catalog, Lightroom will know where the images are. This is a large part of the purpose of "Save as catalog".

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The sidecar files are only useful when opening the images in a program other than Lightroom.
But surely you can copy the photo and the sidecar file to another computer, import it into Lightroom, and it will see the edits, since it automatically reads the sidecar file.

So sidecar files are useful with Lightroom?

CS stands for Creative Suite, the programs in that suite are:
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Adobe Audition, SpeedGrade, Flash, Prelude, Bridge and Fireworks.
They are different Suites which include some or all of the Programs depending on your needs and budget. They latest version is CS6 and is Cloud based known as the Creative Cloud (CC) If you subscribe to Creative Suite 6 (CS6) via the Cloud (CC), it would now include Lightroom 5. CS6 is the first version to be cloud based it's being billed monthly or yearly. You can no longer buy the discs like you could in CS5 and earlier versions

Lightroom went through version 1, 2, 3, 4, with Lightroom 5 being the newest version.
Hi you can get CS6 on a disk still.

Phil.

As others have stated edit changes are stored in the LR catalogue and unless you have specificallly asked to save xmp with your files then if you just copy the raw file then edits are lost as they remain in the original LR catalogue.

It is not considered good practice to write directly to a raw file at least as far as third party providers go although the camera manufacturers raw applications can and do. Before anyone steps in and states this is a good reason to use the camera makers app - it is not! :wink::tongue::biggrin:

So if there is no sidecar file associated with your raw you can go back to original LR and make it happen either automatically or manually for selected images:
Specify where to write metadata changes

Lightroom automatically writes adjustments and settings metadata to the catalog. You can also instruct Lightroom to write the changes to XMP. In order for changes made in Lightroom to be recognized by other applications, metadata must be written to XMP.

1. Choose Edit > Catalog Settings (Windows) or Lightroom > Catalog Settings (Mac OS).
  2. Click the Metadata tab, and then do either of the following:
    • To write adjustments and settings metadata to XMP, select Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.
    • To write adjustments and settings metadata only to the catalog, deselect Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.
If you don’t write adjustments and settings metadata to XMP automatically, you can select a file and choose Metadata > Save Metadata To File.

Save metadata changes to a file manually

To manually save metadata changes to a photo in Lightroom, do one of the following:

• Select one or more photos in the Grid view of the Library module and choose Metadata > Save Metadata To File(s), or press Ctrl+S (Windows) or Command+S (Mac OS).
  • Click the Metadata File Needs To Be Updated icon
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    in a thumbnail in the Grid view of the Library module, and then click Save.
  • If you’re working with a DNG file, choose Metadata > Update DNG Previews & Metadata to save metadata changes to the file and also generate a preview based on the current raw processing settings.
Just remember if you use either method to copy both the raw and its xmp file to the new destination for the edits to be honoured in your version of LR or ACR :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
But surely you can copy the photo and the sidecar file to another computer, import it into Lightroom, and it will see the edits, since it automatically reads the sidecar file.

So sidecar files are useful with Lightroom?
Yes, but what's the point? You have just added complexity and eaten up extra disk space to do something that an Export as catalog and import will do. And if you want to round trip the file from LR to PS, in is easier and less complex to do that with an Edit in... from LR and then a Save from PS.

I can see both sides i.e. selecting the raw and the sidecar and just copying to a new destination and this would be the way to go if you were not proposing to edit in LR but using ACR. Of course any other raw app. would not honour the Adobe edits - at least as far as I know.

I think Doug's proposal for working in LR only (assuming no compatibility issues between versions) of exporting as a catalogue is probably the best way to go. In that case it would also make sense to make sure that you have ticked all the boxes! i.e. Export Selected only, Export Negatives (your actual raw files) and Include Available Previews. Then either leave as a seperate catalogue or import into master catalogue?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Apologies for mistyping. Yes the versions are Lightroom 3 and Lightroom 4 (sans Cs)

Going to try the save as catalog feature this weekend.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom