1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lightroom is painfully slow.

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by Connahhh, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Lightroom has been painfully slow for me on every computer I've tried it on. Even our top-of-the-line photo editing computer, where CS3 loads in about a second. Is LR2 any better speed wise?

2. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    Lightroom is hit and miss for me. Runs fine at home on a decently fast system. Runs fine on my laptop, but then extremely slow on my system at work which is a pretty beefy system. Not sure if this makes a difference but my home system and laptop are both running vista.

3. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I haven't tried it on vista. That's interesting, thanks.

4. LR2 took care of a lot of the speed issues, BUT, it will depend on the size of your RAW file.

The minimum requirement that it states would be OK for a 4 or 6 mb. .nef file, but if you have a 10 to 12 mb. or larger, your going to need more ram and a faster processor.

So, read into that, a Intel P4 and 1 gig of ram minimum or for better performance for larger files, a Intel Duo core or Quad core with 2 gig of ram, or more if running Vista.

George.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  5. I am using this system and can run LR2 with 14 bit nef files with no speed issues.

Dell XPS 410

Vista Ultimate

Intel(R) Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

2 gigs Ram

6. Lightroom uses Previews to display your images. As you click on an image, it builds a Preview. The best option is to import the images and select Standard Preview during you import.

7. kirbinster

kirbinster

Nov 24, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Lrightromm 1.x will grind to a halt if you tell it to write sidecar files as you go. This is much better in LR 2.x and version two is generally much faster. Whenever I have it slow down I just close it and reopen it and the problem goes away.

8. I am using Vista Business on a laptop with 2Gb RAM and LR2 works fine

I am using Vista Home on a desktop with 4Gb RAM and LR2 works GREAT!

9. kirbinster

kirbinster

Nov 24, 2007
    NJ, USA
    The first computer is a surprise as Vista alone with 2Gb ram is painfully slow, forget about using any applications with it.

10. it's my work laptop and I barely use LR on it - just for quick conversions once in a while

For everything else it is fast enough

11. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Thanks for all your help everyone. I've tried a few things but it just doesn't seem to be helping all that much. I'll wait for the release.

12. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    Not sure what system you tried..but I have 2 desktop and 2 laptops all with vista and 2gb and all run smooth.

13. teavenson

teavenson

May 27, 2005
    Covina, CA
    You need to make sure that you have the latest driver for your video card.
    LR2 adjustment brushes were running very slow on my computer even after updating to LR2.1. I found and installed the latest update to my video card and now LR2.1 is running fast and efficient as I expected.

Tom

14. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    LR2 runs generally fine on the latest model Mac Pro, which I own. However, there is something you positively must know about LR and LR2: they have severe memory leakage. This shortcoming vastly impacts performance.

Ignore the recent comments from Adobe that claim memory leakage was fixed with the update to LR2. That is total nonsense. After an extended session with LR2 and importing lots of images, your 16 GB is used up. Then you watch the number of pageouts increase and performance takes a hit. The only solution is to reboot because it is a memory leakage problem.

You have less than 16 GB? Good luck. Consider upgrading your computer and memory. Sooner or later you'll need 64 GB for those forthcoming 24 MP cameras anyway.

15. 04749s

04749s

Sep 20, 2008
    east bay area
    The best way to free up memory and gain speed .
    Click run >> msconfig >> click tab StartUp turn off any programs you don't need . Then
    >> click tab Services .. do the same turn off any unneeded programs .
    >> click apply >> reboot

open LR

16. foto1139

foto1139

Feb 6, 2006
    When things slow down try Edit>Preferences>File Handling>Purge Cache

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.