Lightroom Lens Profiles

So why are there so few "lens corrections profiles" in Lightroom ?

There are just a few lens referenced -- you would think they would include many more -- I mean -- my 85mm f1.4 isn't even profiled

I know you can do "Manual" profiles -- but it sure seems that Adobe would include more lens under the "Profile" tab

Any thoughts ?

I did see the new update yesterday -- and updated -- still didn't see where it added any more to the list
I went back to check to see if the 85mm was included -- and it wasn't.....

Peter -- what am I doing wrong ?
I go to the Lens Corrections tab
Click on Enable Profile Corrections
Under Lens Profile I see Make, Model, and Profile
Under Make -- I click on Nikon
Then under Model I only see 8 lens listed

I have updated to Version 3.4 as of yesterday
Any help on where you are seeing all the other Nikon lens would really be appreciated
Thanks in advance

I was adjusting a .jpg image -- when I just saw the 8 lens listed
Does it show more when working on a .nef ?
I will have to give that a try and see what happens

OK -- just shot a .nef -- and now I am seeing all the profiles you referenced !
Wonder why they don't show up when shot as a .jpg ?
Kinda strange -- but yet another reason to shoot RAW I guess

Thanks Peter

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Peter

The reason is that some corrections are made in the camera to JPGs. Specifically chromatic aberration. Barrel/pincusion is not fixed in the camera, so that correction applies to both RAW and JPG.

Chromatic aberration used to be a significant reason to choose NX2 over Lightroom, but as these profiles get more prolific that reason is removed.

In future camera models it is possible that the camera will apply all sorts of corrections to the JPG, so one needs to distinguish.

By the way PTLens still provides the best system for barrel/pincushion correction, it has profiles for a vast array of cameras and lenses. That is what I still use for that purpose.

I can't believe I never knew about this. I've been playing with the lens correction manually like a ******* stumbling around.

Now I'm thinking...how many pics have I let out without proper corrections.

I can't believe I never knew about this. I've been playing with the lens correction manually like a ******* stumbling around.

Now I'm thinking...how many pics have I let out without proper corrections.

How many customers have noticed, you didn't!!!:biggrin:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
When you click "enable" in ACR or Lightroom - is the resulting correction for a given maker and lens the "recommended" one or do you need to adjust it yourself?

Seems like most default adjustments come up 100 / 100 / 100 .....

If they have tested all these lenses, it seems like the default would be the results of all that testing.....

Thanks Peter

Art:

Sorry I did not get back to you earlier, I was helping my son get pics of his car (1957 four door hardtop)

adams%20chevy-6-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

He just purchased it a couple of weeks ago, was a Wichita Falls car all it's life.

Peter

When you click "enable" in ACR or Lightroom - is the resulting correction for a given maker and lens the "recommended" one or do you need to adjust it yourself?

Seems like most default adjustments come up 100 / 100 / 100 .....

If they have tested all these lenses, it seems like the default would be the results of all that testing.....

Karen, the sliders are just a mid point position so you can further adjust to your taste. If there is a profile visible, it has been made/tested but they are all done manually so as all things human there can be errors - I have found one that was off, reported it and it was corrected in the next release!
Think about how Nikon now has lens adjustment in cameras.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Kiwi. Sometimes the correction looks strong or "off" to me, but I'm thinking that's because I'm not used to seeing lens distortion corrected! Now I'll feel a little more confident in using it - perhaps with a little tweak!

I'm better at judging CA and vignetting, though!

I hate this about LR3. I use a sigma 10-20 and can see the profile with nef files but not tiff. I do HDR and I never can correct the HDR file.
What really annoys me is I saw a tutorial where someone was using same lens and created a tiff file and still had the sigma 10-20 option under lens correction. I think it depends on how the file is created.

I'm now torn between mandatorily applying Lens Correction as per profile on import or leaving it until necessary. Some of the shots I was happy with previously didn't fare well upon correction. Some sharpness was lost and some of the mood that I got from the natural vignetting was also gone.

This isn't better to me, but the technical side of me wants everything to be correct

What do you guys think?

Also, anybody have Tokina 11-16 f2.8 profile? This is the lens I most need corrections on, but it's not available from Adobe. There's one for Canon that someone made with a Rebel, but I'd prefer a proper Nikon DX made one. Google revealed nothing useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If you do photography that demands that straight lines come out straight, for example architectural photography, then I strongly recommend PTLens. It runs stand-alone and/or as a CS5 add-on. It recognises the camera and the lens and simply works perfectly.

Unlike the Adobe approach, the profiles are created centrally from photos taken by customers, following a strict set of rules. Also unlike Adobe, the profiles involve distant shots, not close-ups. The use of close-ups for creating profiles by Adobe is flawed and slightly reduces accuracy.

If the software does not support your lens or camera, which is unlikely, you simply follow instructions and the author updates the database for you free of charge, and everyone benefits.

It does not include automatic CA or vignette correction, but allows it manually. It comes with 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

PTLens is also cheap and you only pay once ever.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom