1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lightroom, Noise Ninja and batch processing

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Electromen, Aug 19, 2009.

1. The new feature of Noise Ninja is call Sidekick Mode. You must have the stand alone program of Noise Ninja version 2.2 it's a free upgrade for stand alone owners.

You select all the photos you want to run NN on in Lightroom and they batch process without a user interface. Just click once and away it goes on hundreds of photos at a time. It's also possible to download camera profiles for each ISO the camera uses. NN will apply the noise profile based on EXIF data. So in other words if you have a D300 @ ISO 1600 NN will apply the correct profile automatically.

Anyone interested in learning more about this?

2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I'd like to know more. I'm a fan of NN and Lightroom.

3. >First you must have the stand alone program version 2.2 it's a free upgrade
    >Download and install the camera profiles for the cameras you use or you can have it profile each image
    >Setup LR to use Noise Ninja as an external editor
    >Open a LR file into NN
    >Select the Sidekick Mode tab on the left, this is new in ver 2.2
    >Set your preferences for Sidekick, if you want to use the downloaded camera profiles select "choose profile based on EXIF. Since LR is set to create a new file I have NN set to overwrite the existing file
    >Close NN
    >In LR select the images you want to use in NN
    >Select edit in NN
    >The new files are created in LR without user interface.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Greg, have you used Topaz Labs DeNoise? How does it compare to NN? I have the entire Topaz suite and am curious if you're familiar with the comparison.

5. mudfoot

mudfoot

Dec 29, 2008
    Bronx,NY
    Thanks for the info.

6. Sounds cool, I was a little curious why you would overwrite the original file though??

7. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the info.

8. Because in LR I select "edit a copy with LR adjustments" when sending it to NN.

9. I have not tried Topaz. I'd like to see it in use.

10. If I remember I'll bring my laptop with me Sunday. It's pretty impressive from what I've played with so far.

11. Here is a six minute video tutorial on the set up in LR and NN.

Since help on Sidekick Mode of NN is not easy to find, here is a quote from the user guide. You can find it in Help and search for Sidekick.

The Sidekick Mode
    While the Sidekick Mode tab is active any files sent to Noise Ninja will be automatically processed and saved without user interaction. Files can come from external applications, the file open dialog, or drag and drop.
    The sidekick mode can be used as an alternative to the batch processor, but is particularly useful as a way to batch process multiple images when using Noise Ninja as an external editor for another application.
    Note: The Sidekick Mode tab is extensively annotated with "What's This" help. Click on the "What's This" button and then click on an individual control in the tab to view a description of the item. The documentation on this page provides a high-level introduction to the sidekick mode. For details regarding individual settings, switch to the sidekick mode tab and use the "What's This" help.
    The basic workflow for using the sidekick mode with thirdparty applications is as follows:
    Select an image in your thirdparty application and start Noise Ninja as an external editor.
    Process this image as you normally would.
    Click on the "Sidekick Mode" tab to activate sidekick mode.
    Use the profile policy drop down and filter policy drop down to determine how profiles and filter settings are selected for images to be processed. You can have the profile and filter settings of the current image be applied to all subsequent images. Your drop down selections will be the defaults next time you start Noise Ninja.
    Return to your thirdparty application send additional images to Noise Ninja. Any images you send will be automatically be processed based on your settings while Noise Ninja remains in the sidekick mode. This will allow you to quickly batch process images in Noise Ninja from your preferred thirdparty application.
    If your thirdparty application sends new copies of images to Noise Ninja you can select the "Overwrite existing file" option from the output policy drop down to avoid creating additional unnecessary copies of the images. You can turn on the "Start Noise Ninja in Sidekick Mode" option to have sidekick mode start on by default and begin batch processing from your thirdparty application without having to click a single button in Noise Ninja.
    Sidekick Mode can be used as an alternative to the batch processor dialog. While in sidekick mode you can drag and drop multiple files or folders and they will be automatically processed. Whenever a folder is drag and dropped sidekick mode will add all the images in the folder to the list of images to be processed.

Camera Noise Profiles and instruction for installing can be found HERE

12. So you still end with the "original" raw file plus a TIFF then??

13. yes

14. zahidkm

zahidkm

Jan 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    very helpful. i was playing with these so far and was able to do what you described. makes my workflow go even faster.

15. Much faster. I sent 39 photos to NN from LR and left to get a drink. By the time I got back they were done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.