Lightroom v. Nikon NX... which one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gaperklake, Mar 30, 2007.

1. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Hello. This is Guy again, still making his way through a digital world. I'm shooting RAW, and - of course - will process RAW - lots of images with a D 200. (I own Photoshop Elements 5.0.)

Thanks for your help in giving me your ideas, opinions and advice on which of these programs: Lightroom or NX will best process RAW images batched or unbatched.

Guy

2. I don't do batch so no comment from me. I find that too many times, there isn't a "one group of settings" that I can apply to my RAW files to get the look that I want from every picture.

Both have their strengths. I use Lightroom much more than Capture NX, I just found that Capture NX was too slow for my liking compared to Lightroom.

You really should download trials for both and see which one you prefer.

3. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Thank you,

Thanks Jimmy,

I have downloaded both. Thanks for the great advice.

A couple of hours ago I bought Lightroom online!

Good luck,

Guy

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    If you by chance have PS, I would up grade to CS3 and forget the rest.
    ACR 4 will ,I think ,blow the rest of the away from what I see.

AIAA06 is a 15% discount code to up grade to CS3 (if it still works)
    I just personally do not like NX..

Never used lightroom.

5. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Gale,

Thank you for your thoughtful response... and generous offer. I am using Elements 5.0 and not CS2. When I started in digital SLR, just weeks ago, CS2was far too much for me (including the price). Looks more usable now.

Guy

6. macroach

macroach

Jul 19, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Gale -- How do you use the code to get the upgrade?

I am trying to figure out if my copy is even upgradeable. It is the full CS2 version, but it was a gift from someone at Adobe who was allowed to buy for family and friends. The caveat is that these copies can not be sold for profit. He never mentioned anything limiting the upgrade path.

7. yatesd

yatesd

Nov 5, 2006
    York,PA
    I took a similar path. I have owned the last 3 versions of PS Elements and just bought a book with the intent to finally learn it inside and out. What I discovered is that it was simply too cumbersome to use for a RAW workflow.

I have since purchased LR and have been very pleased. I still have PS Elements 5 linked as my editor, but really haven't had to use it yet.

8. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Yes to - "...inside and out...." Doug.

Guy