Lightroom Web Gallery

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Goofy, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    I've been trying out Lightroom over the last few days, I'm a rank amateur and have a website for fun and keeping in touch with family and friends, I'm no computer programmer!

In the past I've used Simpleviewer for displaying pictures, I like the look of it and with a few adjustments it suits me fine. I find the Lightroom gallery feature even easier and quicker, all the files are uploaded in one go whereas with Simpleviewer you need to create the folders and upload your images, thumbnails, swf files etc manually. (Or is that just me?)

My question about Lightroom is, can you prevent people copying or printing your online photos? With Simpleviewer you have an option to disable "right click" on your pictures by editing an xml file, with Lightroom's flash galleries a right click gives an option to print, can that be disabled?

I'm not suggesting my images are National Geographic as most will be snapshots or friends holiday pics. I'm asking this out of interest as I'm sure some people out there don't want just anyone printing their photos.

Am I missing the obvious?

2. Goofy,

You can use the flash templates instead of the HTML ones. Yes, a print option is still available, but flash galleries effectively don't offer the right-click "Save As" menu.

However, don't be fooled into thinking that people can't copy (or print) pictures when there is no right-click available. If they have it on screen, they can always capture a screen shot and save or print that. If you don't want people to be able to take your stuff, don't show it, or show it very small and/or show it with a prominent watermark.

3. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Thanks Phillipe,

Like I said, my question was out of interest as my pictures aren't that big of a deal. I realize you can always get an image somehow if it's displayed so uploading a small, lower quality picture helps. Oh, I was using a flash template, sorry for not making that clear.

On a different note, what size file do you use for a reasonable image online? I aim for around 150 to 250 kb and they seem ok on screen.

Thanks.

4. Mark,

Sorry. I missed the fact that you were already using a flash template. I guess I am the one who goofed after all... :wink::smile:

I tend to use 800x530 for landscapes and 750x500 for portraits. I save at quality 9 or 10 in Photoshop, so effectively, yes, I end up with files between 150 and 250 KB (very rarely 300+ KB), depending on the image content.

Also, I upload my web files at that resolution and always use the "original" size to display in smugmug (or other services), thereby eliminating completely the auto-resize step (and corresponding loss of quality) that these services provide.

5. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Phillipe,

Thanks for the info, I was hoping 150 to 250 KB was about right. I'm in the process of sorting my website and that's the ball park figure I'll aim for.

I use Picasa to build the Simpleviewer galleries (using the Picasa template from Simpleviewer) and set the size at 640x480, it seems about right but the file sizes vary from around 50 to 250 KB because a lot of them are friends snapshots taken with various point and shoots.

With Lightroom I've found that setting the "Quality" slider to 65% gives the 150 to 250 KB file size, give or take a few either way.

Personally, I think I'll keep using both... Simpleviewer for general stuff and Lightroom for my pics. Once you've got your preferences set, both are fairly easy to use and look respectable. The manual uploading of the files is the only negative with Simpleviewer but it's not a big deal really.

Thanks again for the input.

6. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Thanks Geoff,

I had a look and there's some interesting stuff. What with the standard Lightroom galleries and now these, I'm spoiled for choice.

Thanks again for the link.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.