Lights To Hot ??

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Django, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Black dogs seem to be a pain for me to light. Do they appear to harsh?
    Thanks in advance Ted B

p111127010-5.

p322772404-4.

p252637314-5.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
  2. Yea, black fur is a problem. What kind of setup are you using? Umbrellas? Softboxes?

3. Black hair on a dog is so difficult to photograph, I think you did an admirable job. I especially like the last one, the dog looks regal. The tag or whatever it is should probably be cloned out as it is distracting but other than that it is a great shot.

4. Thanks Gorden!
    The lights are very new to me. A lot of trial and error plus the dogs having a very short attention span makes it very difficult. The last shot was also my favorite from today. No tags on the dogs maybe the background showing through by the ears?
    Thanks again for the comments......Ted B

Hi Woody,
    I am using a pair of AB 800's with large octoboxes. The key is level with the dogs 45 degree right of camera. The other box is 90 degree left of the camera high pointing down between the dog and background for combination fill on the left side and lighting the back ground.
    Here is a gallery of all the shots from today.
    Poodles

Thanks for the respond.....Ted B

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super shots
    Might be a tad over on sharpening.
    Net photo does not help
    How are the prints.

6. How close are the lights? I'm shooting in the dark here, but if you're using Octoboxes the only other suggestion I could make would be to move the lights closer.

On the positive side, the poses are wonderful... very proper, regal looking animals. I also like the BG.

This is the only decent shot I have of black fur under studio lighting, so maybe you have over sharpened or cranked the Levels up too severely.
    original.