Lightsphere2

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by JerseyJay, May 20, 2005.

1. How many of you are using Gary's Lightsphere ? Pros / Cons ?

Thanks

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Guess I will bump this up...

Not fafiliar with "Lightsphere"

Will watch to see whats this....

3. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    i have it but never used it for a weddding yet...i'm kinda scared of the results...but everyone on the gary fong forum loves it...i think i'll try it the next wedding...i'll post some results

4. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Not used it, but have seen it used by a friend in a wedding. From talking to him.

Pros: Works. Good light, particularly useful for high ceilings.

Cons: Ugly. Heavy. On a SB 800, actually pushes SB 800 down :(

5. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I ordered one Jay, maybe I will have it by the Bronx Zoo.

I hope it's fantastic

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Looks intriguing, but is this quote a typo?

"I designed it so it fits over any lens in your camera bag!" Fits over any LENS? That part's got me a bit confused.

7. Re: Looks intriguing, but is this quote a typo?

I think he meant flash.

8. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Lightsphere II: I use it and I love it

I've had the Lightsphere II for a couple of months now. It works wonderfully for distributing a nice, soft, even light to the subject. Now, I don't shoot weddings (you'd have to point a gun at my head to get me to do that) but for the on-location stuff that I do, it works like a charm.

The pros: Nice light, evenly distributed to the subject. Gives a "studio look" without the hassle of dragging lighting equipment around. If you're shooting in a fluid environment, this can be invaluable. Extremely portable and cheap ($40).

The cons: Robs you of about a stop-and-a-half of light, doesn't fit well into the camera bag (that's where his "fits over any lens" hype fits in - everybody was complaining it didn't fit in the bag) and the little rubber gasket tends to get lost. The gasket is provided by GF to ensure a tight fit with your particular flash head - I'm planning on super-gluing mine onto the Lightsphere II once I find the time.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Call me gullible, but I ordered one

Will report on it's performance, once I've had a chance to test it.