Lightzone, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by j_b_l, May 31, 2007.

1. Does anyone use Lightzone? I just started playing around with it, and I am very impressed...it takes a bit to understand the "Zone Mapper" feature and how it relates to the levels function in PSCS3, as well as how layers work, but once you grasp some initial concepts, it really is fantastic. Here's my best effort on a shot of Nick using PSCS3, and below it is Lightzone's output...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice his eyes and face and background...they all have different luminosities...with PSCS3 I had a hard time adjusting the different luminosities...I wanted the background darker, his eyes a little lighter, and his face even lighter still. Lightzone allowed me to adjust these luminosities individually using the Zonemapper tool...it really is pretty powerful. I am really liking it. The NR feature, gaussian blur, and sharpening equal PSCS3, and it's batch mode is very functional.

It is also *VERY* easy on the hard drive space. A PSD/TIFF that would easily take 30-40MB is only *MAX* 3 MB in Lightzone...There are some things that are a little clunky in Lightzone (clone is not as nice), but it is worth checking out if you're so inclined...

2. John,

I am sure it's an interesting RAW processor alternative, but FWIW, I prefer the first picture, processed with PS3. It looks a lot more natural and has better clarity and color. Oh... and cute kid!

3. Hey Philippe, thanks. The difference is all me. I made that second shot as an attempt at what LZ could do with different luminosities...I had just processed a high-key shot in LZ, and really liked what it could do...so I tried on a non-high-key shot...just to see...

But thanks for the comment...appreciated!! I'm really liking ACR 4.1, BTW...

4. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    I tried Lightzone and just couldn't get used to the interface/software. I'm sure the idea is spot on.. it's just not for me. I instead use ACR 4.1 and find it all I need, quick and a nice jump right to photoshop. Nice photos by the way..

5. rubbub

rubbub

Jun 26, 2006
    Hudson, NH
    Totally agree. The directory icons turn me off immediately at first try.